Windows Upgrade & O.E.M. software ability

23790954 16:03 27 Oct 03

As an elderly gentleman, (silver surfer), who uses windows 98SE as my operating system, I intend upgrading to either Windows 2000 professional, or Windows XP professional. I do not like waiting for any length of time when, after switching on my PC, until I can actually begin using it. That is why I have stayed with Windows 98SE. Which of the two operating syatems mentioned is the mose efficient, and which has the shortest start-up procedure, with the minimum amount of delay.
Also what is the difference between O.E.M. software, and other retail sold software, as I often see advertisements stating that the software is not O.E.M. Is O.E.M. better, more efficient, or worse than other software.

MichelleC 16:57 27 Oct 03

I upgraded from 98se to w2k. Apart from the usual driver teething probs and a few repairs it's much better and more stable than 98.

You can do tweaks on os's to boot up quicker but it's best to let it load on it's own (checking system, security etc). Mine boots in 2 minutes at most.

OEM is explained here: click here

mdshamilton 17:11 27 Oct 03

I upgraded from Win 98 to Win2K and now XP. XP is definitely faster starting up and it's very stable - no more blue screen of death. If you're going to spend money upgrading go for XP.

enoonmai 17:20 27 Oct 03

O.E.M. = Other Rquipment Manufacturer, meant to be sold bundeled with new PC's, therefore not supported by the company that made /wrote it, Retail is better as its supported, but more expensive. If you are a competent person usr OEM.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…