Windows Updates Puzzle

Storik 10:51 04 Oct 06

I am completely flummoxed. I run Windows XP Home on an Asus A7N8X system, and have recently had to purchase a new dialup modem. (I cannot get broadband)

With the new modem, access to the internet is now a lot faster, BUT each time I access the internet a Windows Update icon appears in the System Tray - "download update 57%" and I believe this is the reason XP will not shut down.

Every so often I get a message to restart my machine in order for the updates to take effect. Attempting to restart the machine results in the machine hanging at the point "Windows is now shutting down." In short, Windows does not shut down.

I should mention that using the computer, without accessing the internet there is no problem at all with shut down.

Can anyone please help?

Storic

terryf 10:54 04 Oct 06

how about going to the update site and stop auto updates then download individual updates, long-winded but may be better suited to a dialup connection

Storik 11:09 04 Oct 06

Thanks for you reply. I actually switched off the automatic updates because it caused all sorts of problems with my machine.

Downloaded the updates I needed - security wise, and ignored the rest. Not really sure what these particular updates are about.

Can you suggest a way of removing them from the sytem tray, please? Clicking on them brings no response.

Storic

ventanas 11:39 04 Oct 06

Do you have Windows Defender installed, they may be for that.

jimv7 11:49 04 Oct 06

Right click 'my computer/properties/automatic updates and tick in the box to download but ask you when to install, you can then check the updates and only install the 1's you want.

Storik 12:51 04 Oct 06

ventanas: No Window Defender installed - er not that I know of. :-)

jimv7: Have done as you suggested and will wait and see what happens. I did do this once before, but it would seem that Norton has changed everything again. It was questoning this particular update thing earlier.

Thanks folk - will let you know what happens. :-)

Storic

Storik 20:50 04 Oct 06

The icon isn't there when I first boot up Windows but reappears when I disconnect from the internet. This time it tells me that 37% updates are downloaded.

Then of course, Windows will not shut down.

I shall have to have another go on the Microsoft's site - download something and then see if it will go away.

I remain thoroughly puzzled.

Storic

Storik 09:19 05 Oct 06

Well I've gone on Microsoft's Website and apparently, the update downloads are going to take an estimated time of 7hours 59mins to download (@ 40 Kbps) - methinks I'll just forget about it. :-)

Thanks to all for their help.

Storic

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple