windows updates problems

telgirl2000 23:07 23 Aug 03

hi

I am having big problems with windows updates. I can get them to download but whenever i try to install them the installation fails. I have tried all the different updates and they all fail. This started happening about 24 hours ago, and at the same time i found i could no longer get into any web based email programmes - yahoo, lycos, aol etc - i can login and get to the welcome page but as soon as i try to check mail or go into any of my email folders it comes up page cannot be displayed.
As these both started during the SOBIG panic i have run several virus scans but they all say my pc is clean. I have also run the sobig removal tool just in case but that dosent find it on my system so i assume this isnt caused by a virus.

would really appreciate any help

thanks

powerless 23:11 23 Aug 03

Operating system?

For the WU click here and see if any of it applies.

Try and repair IE:

click here 98/me/2000

click here XP

powerless 23:11 23 Aug 03

Are you running a firewall?

JIM 23:14 23 Aug 03

post us your windows O/S,if you have Win xp do a restore point back 24hrs

telgirl2000 23:20 23 Aug 03

my OS is win xp home upgraded from 98yes i am running a firewall, zone alarm pro but i was running that before with no probs with updates. I am runing norton and avg anti virus software. i did the restore back to 5 days ago, didnt make any difference :(

powerless 23:24 23 Aug 03

Disable your AV's as they may conflict with it all.

Try the updates again.

Jester2K II 23:29 23 Aug 03

Only run one AV at a time!!

telgirl2000 23:47 23 Aug 03

ok i am running just avg now, tried all the tips above and still got the same problems :( the other thing is, that when it scans for updates and i get the list on the left, i can click and go into critical updates and driver updates to see what it is recommending, but if i click on the general windows xp updates i am getting page cannot be displayed

Jester2K II 23:48 23 Aug 03

Are you on Dial Up or Broadband?

telgirl2000 23:51 23 Aug 03

broadband, ntl cable modem

JIM 23:52 23 Aug 03

try running sfc /scannow. then try updates

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…