Windows updates - no access to update site

accord 23:45 25 Aug 04

Im having trouble getting into the update site at v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com

I visited the other night and had to download a small program to allow me to access the updates. It has changed since I last visited back in July 04.

Anyhow, now I cant get into the updates as I need to set up IE6 to allow access to this site in the trusted sites tab in tools, internet options, security. I have added the sites advised by the MS support but still no joy.

Is there any other way of accessing the updates?

Aside from this, with SP2 coming next month via PCA cover disc, im just wondering whether to leave this until then when I might reformat HD and load SP2 onto a clean system. Its in need of a format anyway.

As always, muchos gracios

end 23:53 25 Aug 04

I have spent the past one hour updating from my update centre, will see if I can get my link for you to try. assuming i can get to post back again:)

end 23:56 25 Aug 04

see if this works for you but no promices...
click here

this is where I have been for the past hour or so.....??any good for you:)

you shoudl be able to get to it from your start menue?

I am on Win 98se by the way

johnnyrocker 23:57 25 Aug 04

click here might be of use.

johnny.

spuds 00:01 26 Aug 04

Try this route and select one of the links click here [ignore the error message at the top of page]

If you want to order a free cd copy of SP2, then click here [Cd English version, released 25/08/04]

accord 00:03 26 Aug 04

cheers for that but it takes me to the same place where I was getting to.

accord 00:07 26 Aug 04

havent used this site before, whats it all about?

johnnyrocker 00:09 26 Aug 04

it will gather fixes for your system and if you leave it running in background will pop up with new updates as and when available.

johnny.

Djohn 00:12 26 Aug 04

I've just been to the official site now both through the update facility on start/all programs and the link above in end's post. [Same place] The update for SP2 is there waiting to download.

I've set mine to auto download at 3am, it states that it will download, install then turn off my PC so I'll let it get on with it while I'm trying to sleep. :o(

end 00:12 26 Aug 04

so what happens when you get TO that site?

should run automatically then ask you to click on something to read the list for installation ; presume it dont:(

accord 00:16 26 Aug 04

your link takes me to where i was originally getting to, same as end's.

Anyway, Ive ordered an SP2 CD from MS, so i think I will wait for that and reformat.

Cheers guys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…