Windows updates from Microsoft

bpzoom 13:52 21 Jul 04

WINXP Home, After a failure (by me) to create a ghost image of my C Partition containing the system, I ended in a loop within Norton Ghost and I ended up doing a fresh load of Windows XP. I did not then notice that Windows loaded not into C: but H: I now have a working system with NTFS partitions variously lettered. Windows in H: and I can live with that. The C: remains a left over from the cockup of only 5mb and is a FAT32 partition and redundant. But having now to download loads of critical updates including Service Pack 1 again to get back to date, the installation of Service Pack 2 fails as it is trying to stick it into C: with little space, when Windows is in H:. A sorry tale I know, but how can I direct the Microsoft updates to H: and not the useless C:?

cga 15:50 21 Jul 04

You have to be a little careful as your C: partition may be redundant - except for Boot.ini.

You will probably find that the old C: partion is still the active one and boot.ini is directing you to the H: partition.

The other issue is that, unlike Win98, drives are not lettered dynamically at start up but are allocated within the XP system.

You can use Disk management to reassign letters but it is difficult for the primary partition and can lead to problems. There are ways but they are messy.

GaT7 16:45 21 Jul 04

You could first download the updates to your hard disk & then install them one at a time, couldn't you? I'm unsure whether it would work or not but it's worth a try...

Initially d'load one update to your hard disk & double-click to install. Reboot your PC when done & check on the Win Update site again to see whether that update installed correctly or not (or use Belarc Advisor to confirm this - click here). Good luck & let us know if it worked or not. HTH, G

bpzoom 17:23 21 Jul 04

Crossbow 7. I did download the Service pack SP1 to the hard drive, but when it unpacks it for installation it looks for space and it wants space on the first primary partition on the first drive. This it uses as temporary space while it loads the service pack to wherever you want it. I am goosed because I have this first duff partition on the primary disc of only 5mb, and the temp files need 25mb. Goosed is probably accurate. I will never dabble with partitioning again!

GaT7 00:36 22 Jul 04

Go to Win Update click here. Click on 'Get help and support' in the left pane.

You can: 1. Post a message on the MS newsgroups update forum by clicking on the 1st option 'View tips and solutions...', AND also, 2. Click on the 'Request technical support' option. Both will prompt you for a .NET Passport when you try to post a query. You can follow the onscreen instructions to register for one. [An answer is not guaranteed but you do get a reply if someone knows how to solve the problem - see Dave911's positive experience - click here].

As your problem is rare, you may not find an answer in the 2nd option - 'Windows Update troubleshooter' - but you never know! Good luck, G

temp003 04:47 22 Jul 04

You might be able to extract the files manually. Try this.

First create a new folder somewhere on your hard drive where there is enough space, say H:\xpsp2ex

Click Start, Run, then in the box type:

H:\downloads\xpsp2.exe -x

and press Enter, where H:\downloads\xpsp2.exe is the path to where the .exe Windows Update file has been downloaded and saved. If the name of a folder in the path contains spaces you may have to put quotation marks around the path.

After pressing Enter, you should then be promted where to extract to. Now click Browse, and navigate to the folder you've created, H:\xpsp2ex or whatever it is.

Click OK, and the file should extract to the folder.

Double click the xpsp2ex folder. I don't have the file to try, but normally with these Windows Update files, after the extraction, there should be an Update folder. If there is, double click it and see if there is an update.exe file. That's the file to double click to install the update.

temp003 05:28 22 Jul 04

Come to think of it, if it is a Service Pack, after extraction, the Update folder should be inside an i386 folder, but you'll find it anyway.

bpzoom 21:09 28 Jul 04

Thanks Temp003 and the other kind people. I have not got back sooner mainly because I could never get online longer than a few minutes at a time without AOL dropping out. Plus another regular pop up which announced a 45 second close down of the system, which always happened. Keeping the story short: With all these other annoyances and the problem with Windows on H: I decided to wipe the disks clean and start again. Big problem was nothing would look at the drive with the strange little 5mb C: partition. FDISK, format, Partition Magic 8.0 etc, nothing would touch the C: partition.Until a friend turned up with a Seagate diagnostics disk and that cracked the problem. WE switched the discs making the good one the primary master, loaded Windows. Used the Seagate diagnostic disk on the switched "bad" drive, and it removed the partitions including the C: and reformatted as one 40gb disc. Ereything now is working normally. I will never know what I did wrong with Norton Ghost, despite all the warnings about needing great care when using it. I have no intention of using it again. Thanks a lot for your helpful suggestions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…