Windows updates: just a quick query!

Faffingwaste 10:25 05 Oct 09

I'm running Windows XP SP2 and IE 7.

It's been awhile since Microsoft started nagging me about not one but three different (and major-sized) updates, viz:

1 Internet Explorer 8

2 Windows XP SP3

3 And some absolutely vast (or so it seems) update to .NET.

As I'm now being nagged again with reminders, this is a quick query then to others here who've boldly gone before:

Was it worth it, installing all three of the above updates?? And did you experience any adverse after-effects? (Couple of years back I had a bad experience with a Windows update.)

Thanks.

birdface 10:34 05 Oct 09

Download them one at a time may be your best bet.
I have not had any problems with any off them.
Just thinking if you download IE8 before SP3 I believe you can still go back to IE7 from add remove.But you cant if you download SP3 first.
This is only what I have read on some threads but I may be completely wrong.

gengiscant 10:35 05 Oct 09

You could just create a restore point, then if you have problems you can just roll your PC back.

Its impossible to say if you will have problems or not. I have 4 PC's and various updates have given individual PC's a problem at times.
But on the whole its probably best to install updates.
Of course you do not have to and you can turn off the reminders so you won't be bothered.

Faffingwaste 17:59 05 Oct 09

Thanks buteman and gengiscant: great advice.

So. . . I've now DL'd and installed IE8 and there are no problems at all, system's running smoothly in all areas including OE.

I'll next DL and install XP Service Pack 3.

As for the .NET update, the sheer size of what's on offer is really daunting for someone like me with a slo-oo-w Net connection due to being at the furthermost limit of the BT exchange line.

There's also the fact that I've not experienced any .NET-related problems before: the only .NET coding installed on this desktop is "Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1".

So as I'm (shamefully?) ignorant of what improvements the vast new .NET download will offer, methinks I'll give it a miss.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…