Windows Updates are they really necessary?

Bald Eagle 18:39 13 Feb 03

I run 98SE with OE6 andWindows media player 7.01. After reading another thread I checked for updates for my system and got the following suggestions. Are they absolutely necessary or icing on the cake? I have ZoneAlarm and AVG installed and running.

810847: February 2003, Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1

810030: Microsoft VM Security Update

Q329414: Security Update (MDAC 2.6)

Q329115: Security Update (Windows 98)
This update resolves the "Certificate Validation Flaw Could Enable Identity Spoofing

Q323255: Security Update (Windows 98)
This update resolves the "Unchecked buffer in HTML Help can lead to Code Execution

Security Update, March 7, 2002
This update resolves the "Unchecked Buffer in Windows Shell Could Lead to Code ExecutionQ320920:

Security Update (Windows Media Player 7.1)

Lú-tzé 18:52 13 Feb 03

There are a lot of mixed opinions on these - some along the lines of "if it works, don't fix it"; others that these patches are given for a reason; others still that you should go for security updates and leave the others alone.

Personally I go for them all as they come out - all the critical updates at least.

It is a good idea to download them and save them somewhere that will allow you to install them later on - thus if you need to reinstall Win98, it will not be necessary to d/l them all over again.

Stuartli 18:54 13 Feb 03

In a word, yes.

The fact that many are security updates should ring alarm bells - it's like car or house insurance in that you hope you'll never need it, but it's there if wanted.

Windows is pretty stable after four or five years' development, but security issues are often discovered by outside organisations and Microsoft follows up their findings with appropriate updates and/or patches.

You might consider downloading the new version of WMP (the Windows98 version); I've found it excellent and very stable, despite minor problems others have come across.

Lead 18:55 13 Feb 03

I was going to say, 'What harm can it do?' But I know of many people where their PCs are worse AFTER installing updates.

However, I always keep my OS up to date and would suggest the hazards of not upgrading are worse than any potential problems from performing the updates.

matt5705 18:58 13 Feb 03

the most im portant in order are security> and then if going thoe system problems update these. But as an xp user 98 may be now the best system to have as its old inough to be sorted from all the problems and new enoung to take most software.

spikeychris 18:59 13 Feb 03

Security updates...well it makes sense to install them, Internet Explorer patches..dito, Virtual machine security, same as. If the downloads don't concern you leave them alone if they do....

Chris

Bald Eagle 20:11 13 Feb 03

Thanks for the advice. Will download them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…