Windows updates

Migwell 15 Mar 12

I have 2 computers using Windows 7 home, one is a laptop with a full version of home and the other is a HP tower using the type of Windows 7 home that was supplied with it when it was new. Both versions are about the same age. But the laptop had a larger hard drive fitter and was first bought with Vista on it, but I put the full version on it not the update version.

When I switch the laptop off for the night it just does its thing and closes down without any fuss other than when an update is required and then it will take a little longer. When switching the tower for about the last two or three weeks, it has taken ages every night. It always has a warning on the screen about not un-plugging or removing the power until the update is finished.

Why should one computer be any different to the other when both are using the same operating system

buteman 15 Mar 12

Switch of Windows Automatic update and just update manually 2nd Tuesday of each month.

It is probably trying to download the same update every night check and see what it is and then stop it from running again.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

How Instagram spots trends

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message