Windows updates

Migwell 08:42 AM 15 Mar 12

I have 2 computers using Windows 7 home, one is a laptop with a full version of home and the other is a HP tower using the type of Windows 7 home that was supplied with it when it was new. Both versions are about the same age. But the laptop had a larger hard drive fitter and was first bought with Vista on it, but I put the full version on it not the update version.

When I switch the laptop off for the night it just does its thing and closes down without any fuss other than when an update is required and then it will take a little longer. When switching the tower for about the last two or three weeks, it has taken ages every night. It always has a warning on the screen about not un-plugging or removing the power until the update is finished.

Why should one computer be any different to the other when both are using the same operating system

birdface 08:55 AM 15 Mar 12

Switch of Windows Automatic update and just update manually 2nd Tuesday of each month.

It is probably trying to download the same update every night check and see what it is and then stop it from running again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Harry Potter's graphic designers showcase magical props & posters in new exhibition

Apple rumours & predictions 2016: What to expect from Apple in 2016