Windows updates

mike1967 10:51 13 Dec 06

A question to you all out there

Just checked on the latest updates and it says there is an update for Windows Media player 6.4, I'm using WMP 11 do I need it, also an update for Outlook Express which I don't need

If I choose not to install these updates will I get bugged at later dates to install?

I probably will install them as loads of room on hard drive, but maybe there are people downloading updates they don't need.

Coff 12:28 13 Dec 06

Information about Windows update KB923689

"I have installed Windows Media Player 11 on my computer. Why am I being offered the Windows Media Player 6.4 security update?

While Windows Media Player 11 is not vulnerable, Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, Microsoft Windows Server 2003 or on Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 and Microsoft Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition will still have Windows Media Player 6.4 installed on the system for backwards compatibility."

Information about Windows update KB923694

"A remote code execution vulnerability in a component of Outlook Express could allow an attacker who sent a Windows Address Book file to a user of an affected system to take complete control of the system.

If a user is logged on with administrative user rights, an attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could take complete control of an affected system. An attacker could then install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts with full user rights. Users whose accounts are configured to have fewer user rights on the system could be less affected than users who operate with administrative user rights."

I would install them both.

J B 15:57 13 Dec 06

I asked myself the very same question and came up with the answer given above. J.B.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5