Windows Updates

AJ Beer 07:59 12 Nov 03

I regularly accept windows updates, but i was just looking through the add/remove programme list on my comp to see if I can free up some space and found 50 updates all about 21mb in size. In my reckoning htat makes 1GB approx and I would love to save that space.

If I remove these Windosw updates, does it remove the upgrades? Alternatively I have a second hard drive running as a storage disk mainly. Could I move the folders to this drive to free up space.

Silly question I know but as these upgrades continue Windows will soon be the only programme on my hard disk.

Oops there's another just come up for IE. I suppose I had better download it.

(Please note I have NOT downloaded the update to watch Snow White with a Sony!!! I'm not htat sill. Besides I've seen it 10 times already!!)

PS Anyone got fed up with the AMD Banner hogging the tool bar every time they come to this site? I'm pig sick of it, give us a break PC Advisor. Maybe the Forum Editor can pass this comment on?. I keep clicking disable permanently but it keeps coming back!

Any suggestions/fixes?

AJ Beer 08:00 12 Nov 03

I may not be silly but I certainly can't type!! Sorry about spelling mistakes!!

Andsome 08:11 12 Nov 03

I'm pretty certain that what you are proposing will in fact remove the updates, and could be a potential source of problems in the future. The updates don't just have to be downloaded and stored on the computer, they have to be installed. Regarding the banner that you talk about, I never see it. Download the Google tool bar and it will stop the pop ups without downloading a seperate pop up stopper program. Since i downloaded it a few days ago it has blocked 45 pop ups, mainly on this site. click here

Jester2K II 08:12 12 Nov 03

If I remove these Windosw updates, does it remove the upgrades?

Yes

Could I move the folders to this drive to free up space.?

No

You can delete the backup folders if you want - XP Remove Hotfix Backup - click here - Removes Hotfix Backup files and the Add/Remove Programs Registry entries. This free some space.

Anyone got fed up with the AMD Banner hogging the tool bar every time they come to this site?

Already been covered in multiple threads here. PCA needs advertising this site is free. Live with it.

AJ Beer 09:04 12 Nov 03

Thanks for help Jester.

Andsome: not sure about this one, I'm always supsicious of anything like this cos they all seem to use the'beneficial programmes/services as some form of knowledge gatherer.I realise its commerciality at the end of the day, but I am bexcoming increasingly concious of this sort of activity and tend to steer away from it.

Andsome 14:01 12 Nov 03

I'm pretty sure you will be OK with the Google tool bar, and you can always uninstall it. Mine has now blocked 52 pop ups.

jolorna 14:08 12 Nov 03

there are a lot of pc advice sites around and they are free but their not plastered with amd or other silly adds like it so we shouldn't have to live with it

Jester2K II 14:19 12 Nov 03

Fine - go to them then. See if they are as good as this one.

AJ Beer 16:44 12 Nov 03

Well thanks everyone. As usual I am now sorted and yes I do find this site to be good, so I'll keep using it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…