Windows updates

Bald Eagle 05:55 25 Oct 03

Even though I've only had XP for a few days I find that I have a list of 46 critical updates, 22 XP updates and 1 driver update already. I know updates are unique to each computer but surely there must be someone out there with broadband who can download them onto CD and pass them on. The critical ones alone are 48.9 MB! and on my connection would take days. Have I missed something, do MS provide this facility?
I would be willing to pay for such a service!!!

The amount of updates that are needed to be downloaded are the necessary price you pay for having an operating system that keeps itself bang up to date.

Unfortunately, downloading the updates to cd is a little more complicated than it first appears but it can be done (I have it) and will mail them to you if you like. (forget payment).

Whenever I install XP I find I have over 100Mb of updates so think yourself lucky!!

DiddyBoy 07:14 25 Oct 03

Are you on a dial-up connection?

If so, then de-select some of the updates until you get down to around the 20 meg mark.. and download the selection.

Then go back to the update site, and do it again.. you should only be left with about 27 meg, which you may get in the 2 hour cut off..

christmascracker 07:48 25 Oct 03
  spuds 18:18 25 Oct 03

Try click here

If you already have the XP Service Pack installed, then scroll above page until you reach 'Download the 826939 package'.Download that, which is about 9mb.

powerless 18:20 25 Oct 03

;-)

DieSse 18:24 25 Oct 03

46 Critical updates sound far too many. A newly installed XP Home with Service pack1A should have quite a few less than this I think.

If your CD does not include SP1A then you have an out-of date copy.

Djohn 18:38 25 Oct 03

I agree. Something doesn't sound quite right there. I have XP Pro SP1 and after doing a format seven or eight weeks back I did not bother to update from the M/S site. Last week I was informed that 22 critical updates and 15 XP updates where required.

Being on broadband it did not cause a problem and they were downloaded/installed why I carried on surfing. Only interruption was for a re-boot.

My copy of XP is about five months old and was current at purchase. The M/S site checker now informs me all my updates are installed and no others available. j.

spuds 19:00 25 Oct 03

To check for updates for XP click here

gold 47 19:05 25 Oct 03

I don't bother with MS XP updates as a rule but i did download the latest 20MB on a dial up took 2hrs every think looked ok turned my computer off four hours later it would not boot further than the dos info,checked inside the case nothing was loose rebooted display was now showing in the bottom left of my screen also i had lost the password box on the welcome screen but would come up if i used the up and down key on the keyboard, computer began to hang i did a virus check that was ok still had the problem ended up reformating and reinstalling XP and SP1 took me hours something got into my computer what i do not know, i have now turned the auto updates off i now use bigfix and that is where i will stay.

A_World_Maker 19:20 25 Oct 03

Microsoft say XP is the most stable OS for 'domestic' use. It, like all Microsoft products, have more holes than a tea bag. 'Hackers delight' another term used, hence the need for massive downloads and numerous updates. In the past I have always allowd the software to 'mature' before dipping my toes. However I took the plung once XP had reached SP1, as I also remeber all to well, the numerous 'updates and extras' for previous OS's, only now, XP has become enormous and the updates have grown expotentially. Microsoft have taken the view, to not allow magizines to stuff their cover discs with these patches, so one can only assume, they have investments in Broadband installations?
Maybe you can find a friend close by with a Broadband connection, who can access his update list and give you all the ones you are missing via CD? Anyone else offering this 'service' would be in breach of MS copyright.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…