Windows Updates

Granddad Ray 15:15 26 Aug 03

A few months ago I bought a computer from Hi-Grade. This was preloaded with Windows XP Home. I had noticed, in your excellent magazine, the advisability of updating. I therefore selected the Windows Update prompt, which took me to a whole long list of prompts for updates for my system. The majority of the options said that the first major Windows update must be installed prior to trying to install them. I therefore proceeded to download this update which took a very long time indeed.
When the download had been completed and the update installed, I rebooted the computer as instructed. After reboot I was confronted with a series of warning messages and my computer was not performing as it had done previously. Fortunately I had installed GoBack and, by rebooting in safe mode I was able to revert my C drive back to a time prior to the update being installed. Everything was then back to normal.
I contacted Hi-Grade and they said that, on no account, should I install this update on my system. As a result I am precluded from opting for the majority of Windows updates. Although I pressed them on the issue, Hi-Grade was unable to give me a plausible explanation for this. They simply implied that this large Microsoft update caused more problems than it solved. Would you please let me know you opinion

Kind regards

Ray Ryan

spikeychris 15:31 26 Aug 03

Whats the name/number of this big update? what where the error messages that you recived?

hugh-265156 15:39 26 Aug 03

sounds like service pk1 but as spikeychris,the messages and name of update would be helpful.if it was anything from click here then it should be quite safe to install.

if it was service pk1 then Hi-Grade are wrong in telling you that this causes problems,quite the opposite,it includes a lot of fixes and improves security.

Djohn 16:26 26 Aug 03

I notice you say that you purchased your PC only a few months back. This being the case, XP will already have SP1 on it! Maybe you are trying to overwrite with SP1a? This is not required, and may cause the problems you have had. j.

hugh-265156 17:22 26 Aug 03

Djohn, i forgot about that.

Djohn 17:35 26 Aug 03

Only a guess huggyg71. Not sure if that is what is causing the problem. But doesn't SP1a have something to do with JAVA removed from it? This may be causing the probs. when installed ove SP1. Regards. j.

-pops- 18:29 26 Aug 03

The Windows Update website will only advise about those updates that are required for the machine it is looking at. In those circumstances it is wrong for HiGrade to tell you that these should not be installed.

As already suggested, get a plausible explanation from HiGrade.

zanimat 19:01 26 Aug 03

When trying to install several of the XP updates I get a message saying the program cannot get info from the database & the installation is terminated. Can anyone explain this - and what I can do about it, please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…