Windows update/Norton problems

rob3600 16:59 13 Jan 09

Hi,
Can you help with a friend's problem, please?
He was shutting down the computer, when Windows started doing the updates. After this, the computer shut down. However, the next time he booted up the computer, he could not access the internet. He called Dell and they advised him to do a system restore, which he did. This worked, but, once the computer had been shut down, the next time he booted it up, he could not access the internet again. He decided to disable the automatic updates. However, now Norton will not work. The icon is not showing in the bottom taskbar. He called Symantec and they gave him the link to download the uninstall tool for Norton, but (and this is where I am unsure of what he is talking about) he said he cannot do this, as, although he can now access html and http, he cannot access something what sounded like FTS or FTP or STF. (Forgive me for sounding dumb, but I cannot think what this is and why this means he cannot download the uninstall tool for Norton.)
He tried to download AVG, to protect him in the meantime, but it won’t download, as Norton is still on the system.
Basically, he wants to know how he can remove Norton completely and how he can start receiving Windows updates again, without all these problems occurring.
Many thanks.

Jim_F 17:16 13 Jan 09

Its FTP - if you go here: click here you should be able to download it for him.

If you friend still has any system restore points prior to these problems it may be easiest to try these first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…