Windows Update....do I bother?

goll_y 17:39 16 Apr 04

I've just upgraded my computer to Windows XP Professional after completely losing all my data on Windows 2000 Professional trying to download the Windows Service Pack update 4.

This was my first time I had used the Windows Update page and it's been a right hassle because I had to wipe my hard drive. Do I dare take the risk and download updates for Windows XP Professional?

VoG II 17:41 16 Apr 04

Yes - you need to install the Critical Updates or you will be prone to infection from viruses.

hugh-265156 17:48 16 Apr 04

yes do get critical or security updates.very important to keep up to date on these.

set a system restore point first.

if you have problems with any of them(i doubt it) restore to previous date.

goll_y 17:50 16 Apr 04

Problem is, when I downloaded the service pack (this is obviously different from what you suggested) the computer crashed on installation and then kept restarting before entering windows. Couldn't access on safe mode or anything.

VoG II 17:52 16 Apr 04

Put them on one at a time and make a note of each one's number. In the unlikely event of problems, remove from Control Panel, Add&Remove programs.

goll_y 18:09 16 Apr 04

Helpful if I can get into windows!!

Ironman556 18:12 16 Apr 04

If you can't boot into normal windows use safe mode. Tap F8 (or possibly F5 will work too) on bootup and you'll get the option to run in safe mode.

broggs 19:14 16 Apr 04

download a free program called BIGFIX from click here and win xp will be updated as and when a new update comes out.
It asks you to subscribe to the 'fixlet' sites.The subscription is free.It realy is worthwhile.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…