Windows Update (XP)

Tazfan 17:54 26 Mar 04

Hi people.

I have just been to Windows updat, and the following occurs after the initial part where the latest version of the Windows Update software is being searched for.

"Windows Update Error

Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page.

Select from any of the following pages for information about Windows Update services, or send us your feedback.

Windows Update Home Page
About Windows Update
Support Information

You can also get online support if you are having problems with Windows Update.

Send error number to Microsoft (0x80072F76)
Note This sends error information but does not create a support incident; you may or may not receive a response."

I tried it on my other system, and it works (there were 2 critical updates). I tried a system restore as far back as I could, and it still doesnt work. I ran SFC /SCANNOW, put the XP disk in and let it do its thing. The result is still the same error message as above.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this, and a possible cure?

As always, any help is appreciated. Many thanks in advance for your time, T:-)

VoG II 17:58 26 Mar 04

Possibly click here

Tazfan 19:02 26 Mar 04

Thank you very much VoG™. Your help is as usual spot on!

Even though your ling did not directly solve the problem (I reinstalled Service Pack 1a, the did the reg tweak suggested), but a the link pointed me to another site that gave an alternatibe location for Windows Update. So, it transpires that the link to Windowd Update that is pinned to my start menu no longer works, but the one at Start/Help and Support/Keep your computer upto date with Windows Update, does work. After all that, there are no updates for this system LOL!

Thanks again. Yet another result from PCA.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…