Windows update Vista SP1

iscanut2 11:21 03 Apr 08

System tells me this is ready for download so I click on OK. It then sits for ages at 0% downloaded and does nothing. My broadband speed is currently fast at 5000kbps so I can only assume the Microsoft servers are overwhelmed and can't cope ! Anyone else have this problem ?

anskyber 11:30 03 Apr 08

It's a very large file so give it a few mins.

iscanut2 11:31 03 Apr 08

Have given it 10mins to start but no go. Will try again another time.

I am Spartacus 11:38 03 Apr 08

It can take around an hour to download and install and a lot of the time it doesn't appear to be doing anything.

iscanut2 11:48 03 Apr 08

Thanks.Might wait for a free CD from a mag if Microsoft allow it !

Quinlan 17:04 07 Apr 08

I downloaded Vista SP1 - it took ages but I just let my computer get on with it and went to bed!

When it eventually completed I discovered that I could not access my external hard drive & the system was generally unstable. After trying various fixes I eventually uninstalled Vista SP1 (took ages again) & everything returned to normal.

I have been strongly advised NOT to download Vista SP1 before it is downloaded by Microsoft automatically. Apparantly some key drivers are not yet included in SP1. I certainly will not.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…