Windows Update - Text missing on Vista

FreeCell 20:52 14 Aug 07

Vista seems to be determined to make me not like it.

It's Update Tuesday so switch on other halfs new Vista laptop to get updates. Select Windows Update from either control panel, Start all Programs or from IE7 Tools and get same result.

Window appears with Control Panel Windows Update in title bar but no other text.
Blue column on left with double arrow refresh icon and question mark. Neither seem to respond to click. In main box is a green tick in a circle implying all updates installed But haven't run update yet.

Automatic Update appears to be turned off but it won't let me turn it on. Again the Windows Update options box has no text just a green tick symbol with a blue radio button next to it

Anyone seen this before or can suggest how to get update back to normal display with text? Need to try and sort this out tonight as away from tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

FreeCell 21:19 14 Aug 07

Looking at theInstalled Updates log there are 5 Windows Updates shown with todays date
KB933579, KB936021, KB937143, KB938127, KB 905866.

This implies the updates are done so the green tick shows up to date but there should be text and text on the buttons.

Hmm!

Stuartli 21:25 14 Aug 07

I've been attempting to download today's updates from the Security Bulletin link as the Automatic updating has not started yet - the various updates/downloads links are not working properly at present...:-(

Stuartli 21:26 14 Aug 07

I've been attempting to download today's updates from the Security Bulletin link as the Automatic updating has not started yet - the various updates/downloads links are not working properly at present...:-(

Not the first time it has happened.

FreeCell 21:33 14 Aug 07

Stuartli

Have successfully installed all the XP updates on other PCs and as stated in second post it looks like updates for Vista for today have been installed.

The lack of text in the window for Updates just doesn't help know what's going on and if it was a result of my clicking on some unlabelled icon or button.

FreeCell 21:41 14 Aug 07

"Looking at the Installed Updates log there are 5 Windows Updates shown with todays date
KB933579, KB936021, KB937143, KB938127, KB 905866."

Strange but cannot find any of the KBs apart from the last in the MS Knowledgebase. Very confused:>(

FreeCell 21:53 14 Aug 07

938127 and 937143 are in the list of August updates. Only two more to trace.
click here

FreeCell 22:30 14 Aug 07

Will have to leave this until I return from holiday. Will pick up any posts after then.
Ho hum :>(

FreeCell 13:02 30 Aug 07

Fixed by an upate to the Windows Update software received yesterday on switching on PC after return from holiday.

Seemed to be down to a corrupted wu*.* file in the /Windows/System32 directory that has now been updated. :>)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…