"Windows update support" supposed to be free

Phrixos 21:49 14 Jan 09

Hello.

Requests for Windows update support" (or "Microsoft Update support") are supposed to be free--and rightly so.

But whenever I initiate an update support request, I invariably get taken to a page that asks how I want to pay.

What am I doing wrong?

johnnyrocker 22:39 14 Jan 09

have you done a mailware scan and what os are you using?

johnny

Phrixos 22:45 14 Jan 09

Vista Ulilmate (32bit)

As for the mailware (DYM malware?) I use Advanced System Care 3 which auto scans everyday.

provider 2 23:19 14 Jan 09

This any help?

click here

(Microsoft Support page or are you being redirected somewhere else?)

provider 2 23:22 14 Jan 09
  ambra4 23:31 14 Jan 09

Advanced System Care 3 is not an Anti Spyware or Malware program it only Optimization the

OS settings you need to install a proper spyware and Malware program

SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition

click here

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

click here

Download both program install, update, and scan your computer

Phrixos 09:26 15 Jan 09

TO: Provider2 Nope. Both your links lead to the same page.("Select Payment method").

To Ambra. Sorry too, but Advanced System Care 3 does remove &prevent Spyware and prevents the hijacking of settings. (As for Antivirus and Firewall, I use Avast and Comodo.)

Am I missing something?

User-1229748 09:34 15 Jan 09

provider2 links take me to a list of error codes,did you use malwarebytes or superantispyware?

interzone55 09:40 15 Jan 09

Is your copy of Windows genuine. If Windows Genuine Advantage has spotted that your licence isn't valid then MS have every right to charge you for support...

Phrixos 09:57 15 Jan 09

Yes. Genuine--full retail version.

Phrixos 10:04 15 Jan 09

No. Haven't used malwarebytes or superantispyware.

I'm sure you recognize the problem there. Twenty people can recommend twenty different programs that supposedly will solve my problem (which doesn't seem resident in Malware, anyway) and someone in my position ends up installing, trying-out, being disappointed in, thus uninstalling twenty programs--most of which will merely be from people trying to sell their company's product. No offense, I'm sure you mean well--but we are, after all, not only total strangers to each other, but anonymous too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…