Windows Update Settings

paul1975 12:02 15 May 08

Hello,

Im attmepting to change my windows update settings.

Currently its set as "Automatic" and everything is greyed out so i not able to change them.

Ideally i want it set as "Notify me but dont download or install them"

Im the admin of the pc. Any ideas?

Thanks

birdface 12:22 15 May 08

Try security center in control panel.At the bottom click on automatic updates.make sure the dot is in automatic.Then dot notify me.Apply Ok.

paul1975 12:44 15 May 08

The options are still greyed out

Sea Urchin 13:15 15 May 08

Maybe your Security Center needs restarting. Click on Start > Run > type services.msc > in the Services window scroll down to Security Center > right click and select Properties > on General tab look down to Service Status - if its Stopped then click Start > Apply > OK etc

paul1975 14:20 15 May 08

Hi Sea Urhin....i tried starting it but it says "the security center service stared and then stopped. Some services stop atuomatically if they have no work to do, like Perfomace and logs alert service"

Sea Urchin 14:34 15 May 08

If you repeat the above, and check that Start Up Type is set to automatic.

If no joy there then try the following

click here

Scroll down to No 338 on the right hand side, and double click Restore the Security Center Service

paul1975 14:36 15 May 08

Found the answer

To make the Automatic Updates options configurable by the user (only for stand-alone systems)

Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT.EXE

Navigate to this location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows \ WindowsUpdate \ AU

In the right-pane, delete the two values AUOptions and NoAutoUpdate

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…