Windows Update Security Patches and System Restore

precrown 11:39 11 Feb 04

I've just spent hours on-line downloading and installing windows XP security patches. Do I lose these if I have to do a system restore in XP? Is there anyway I can copy the downloaded files as they are installed directly by Micro-soft (this alone took 30 to 45 mins once they were downloaded)?
This would also help where two computers running XP were involved and you only wanted to download the patches once.

Diodorus Siculus 11:53 11 Feb 04

A few options:

set a new restore point.

Create a ghost image of the setup as you like it and then use this to restore Windows as you want it. click here

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 12:20 11 Feb 04

You can save tem directly to the hdd then burn them to disc if you needed i have done it with most of them,but you may still need to check the site as some patches may have been updated since last install,and i think xp sets a restore point automatically before it installes them,but some may need to be reinstalled if you did a system restore for a serious error.

Regards.

precrown 14:25 11 Feb 04

Hi "A NICKNAME",

This is what I was hoping to do. I can find new files in C:\windows\prefetch are these the ones I need to save or are there other ones?

Jester2K 14:36 11 Feb 04

No the ones in Prefetch are just infomation about programs you run so Windows can launch them faster.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…