Windows update query

golfpro 06:55 22 Feb 07

What's this new update I have received this morning from Microsoft, "Windows genuine advantage notification". What's all that about then?

STREETWORK 07:07 22 Feb 07

If this came by email, ignore it and delete it. could be spam or worse

golfpro 07:31 22 Feb 07

It did not come by email, it was a normal Microsoft update notification to install, which appeared in my Task Bar this morning. Am I the only one that has received yet?

golfpro 07:40 22 Feb 07

There was a link at the bottom of the update which I clicked on for more information. click here

I still don't know what it means though, and why I received it. My computer is only one year old and still has the pre-installed XP Home OS when I bought it.

newman35 07:50 22 Feb 07

Yes, I got this update as well, though not installed it yet. I had to go through the MS validation in early Jan following a 'fried' board. Could this be something to do with it?

Technotiger 08:16 22 Feb 07

Hi, I believe it is harmless, but not needed, so I would just ignore it - I did.

golfpro 08:26 22 Feb 07

Nothing has been fried or even boiled on my computer so I think I will just ignore it.

cocteau48 08:29 22 Feb 07

I have been asked to use WGA twice when downloading progs from the Microsoft site. Once for IE7 (now uninstalled!) and again when I went from WMP10 to WMP11.
Its Microsofts way of checking that you have a genuine copy of Windows installed.
Having said that I have never been asked to install or run it other than direct off the Microsoft site and I do not recall any reference to it in an update notification so I would be "slightly suspicious"

Allyginger 12:11 22 Feb 07

Yes i Just had this update come on. As i'm on custom install I clicked the do not include this in future updates. Mind you i had this before quite a few months ago now and did the same. So maybe the 'don't include in future updates' button gets reset after a while so that Microsoft can redo this update. One of the reasons i use custom.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…