Windows update problems service pack 2

eysha1 20:33 PM 04 Dec 12

I am running vista on a Toshiba laptop. Windows advised an update so when installing the Vista service pack 2 it ended by saying it had encountered an unknown problem - code 5, whatever that is, so it didn't install. I have been trying to update to internet explorer 9 without luck and did post a help request here but it didn't work unfortunately. I am not wonderful so any help would be grat with easy directions please. Many thanks. E.

difarn 05:51 AM 05 Dec 12

Error code 5 usually crops up when access is denied. Try to install the SP2 again this time right-clicking on the update before you press install and choosing the Run as Administrator option.

If you resolve this then you may find that IE9 will install.

eysha1 17:46 PM 05 Dec 12

Tried right clicking but it doesn't work. Nothing listed for administrator. It only says Copy Update or hide updates. What now?

eysha1 18:34 PM 05 Dec 12

Many thanks. Got it downloaded to my computer and right clicked to run as administrator but it gives the same message -

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate pemission to access the item.

What can i do now?

eysha1 11:46 AM 06 Dec 12

The programme downloads from the site given ok to my download folder on the computer but it won't install as it gives that message. I have AVG.

eysha1 19:41 PM 10 Dec 12

Thanks DR YES, i followed all your isntructions to no avail. I keep getting the same message as above. Added to that i now get 'a script is running on this page that slows down internet explore...' That's new. No idea what to do now apart from maybe a system restore, would that help do you think? I am not getting e-mail to say you have reply either hense the late reply to yo.

eysha1 20:10 PM 10 Dec 12

Also tried a system restore as far back as i could but still tells me i do not have the apropriate permission - again. I am really lost here. Have tried all suggestions and still no good. Any ideas now?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11