Windows Update problem.

Thurrafork 15 May 11

Hello folks

Been having a string of computer problems of late and I'm gradually working through them.

The one I'm puzzling over at the moment is my Windows Update: If I go there via control panel, just to the left of where it says 'Check for updates for your computer' is a red shield with a white cross in it. If I actually click the 'Check for updates' button, then the 'Checking for updates' icon and green bar appear for a few seconds, then revert to the red shield. There's no error message or anything. So updates wont work. I've tried stopping and restarting wuauserv, and I tried the microsoft 'Fix it' solution that resets all the windows update components but still the problem remains.

I suspect I should just reinstall Windows, but I want to make sure there's no other solution before I do that.

I'm on Windows 7 64bit.

My problems all suddenly appeared in the last week or so. I've tried restoring to an earlier state, but the restore process always fails. Any ideas?

buteman 15 May 11

Have you tried starting it from all programs.

chub_tor 15 May 11

You could also try executing the following command from "run".....

regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

buteman 15 May 11

Lost me a bit.I have windows 7 64Bit and I have no check for updates in control panel.

Have you tried sfc /scannow in command prompt to see if it fixes anything.You don't need the W/7 CD it works without it.

Thurrafork 15 May 11

Thanks chub_tor and buteman - I've tried reregistering wuaueng.dll, didn't help. And sfc /scannow didnt find any problems. I've tried getting to Windows Updates from All Programs, and as I originaly mentioned, via Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update. However I get there the problem is present. Thanks though. Any other suggestions?

Snrub 15 May 11

Left click on Windows button on bottom left taskbar. Click on 'all programs', click on Windows Update. Run program.

And (buteman)on my W7 64bit Control Panel/System and Security/ halway down right hand panel there is a Windows Update section.

Snrub 16 May 11

Try this In bottom right hand side taskbar left click on small triangle (show hidden icons) right click on 'white flag'. There should be a message explaining why red cross present. Follow instructions.

buteman 16 May 11

Maybe try this.link text

will-not-update/

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

Found Studio reveals the making of the Unleashed, Uncut Peugeot 208 viral

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message