Windows Update problem.

Thurrafork 20:22 PM 15 May 11

Hello folks

Been having a string of computer problems of late and I'm gradually working through them.

The one I'm puzzling over at the moment is my Windows Update: If I go there via control panel, just to the left of where it says 'Check for updates for your computer' is a red shield with a white cross in it. If I actually click the 'Check for updates' button, then the 'Checking for updates' icon and green bar appear for a few seconds, then revert to the red shield. There's no error message or anything. So updates wont work. I've tried stopping and restarting wuauserv, and I tried the microsoft 'Fix it' solution that resets all the windows update components but still the problem remains.

I suspect I should just reinstall Windows, but I want to make sure there's no other solution before I do that.

I'm on Windows 7 64bit.

My problems all suddenly appeared in the last week or so. I've tried restoring to an earlier state, but the restore process always fails. Any ideas?

birdface 21:06 PM 15 May 11

Have you tried starting it from all programs.

chub_tor 21:13 PM 15 May 11

You could also try executing the following command from "run".....

regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

birdface 21:14 PM 15 May 11

Lost me a bit.I have windows 7 64Bit and I have no check for updates in control panel.

Have you tried sfc /scannow in command prompt to see if it fixes anything.You don't need the W/7 CD it works without it.

Thurrafork 21:27 PM 15 May 11

Thanks chub_tor and buteman - I've tried reregistering wuaueng.dll, didn't help. And sfc /scannow didnt find any problems. I've tried getting to Windows Updates from All Programs, and as I originaly mentioned, via Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update. However I get there the problem is present. Thanks though. Any other suggestions?

Snrub 23:48 PM 15 May 11

Left click on Windows button on bottom left taskbar. Click on 'all programs', click on Windows Update. Run program.

And (buteman)on my W7 64bit Control Panel/System and Security/ halway down right hand panel there is a Windows Update section.

Snrub 00:08 AM 16 May 11

Try this In bottom right hand side taskbar left click on small triangle (show hidden icons) right click on 'white flag'. There should be a message explaining why red cross present. Follow instructions.

birdface 00:18 AM 16 May 11

Maybe try text

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Adobe unveils Sketch-rival Project Comet for UX design

How to fix iOS 9 problem iPhone stuck screen, unresponsive, no swipe, frozen, can't turn off