Windows Update problem

Newuser4165 09:42 10 Apr 10

I've just reinstalled Win XP SP3 on a friend's Dell 4550.No problems until it came to installing critical updates - there were 66 of them.
All appeared to go well until the end when the pc stalled following a final restart.The pc now constantly reboots - get the black screen showing various boot options - I initially chose the Start Windows Normally option.
Does anyone have any idea as to which of these updates may be causing the problem?
I've temporarily run System Restore to uninstall all 66 updates but obviously I can't leave it like this.

I do appreciate that it may be necassary to reinstall each update in turn but that may take a long time.
I can't find any info on this on Microsoft support.

Thanks in advance.

johndrew 10:00 10 Apr 10

It may be the case that it was the volume of updates that caused the failure. I would suggest that, even though it may take longer, you update with say 10 of the MS updates at a time; restart and run the PC for a while to check stability between each set. Prior to the next set you should create a Restore Point. You may also be wise to choose the 'Custom` option and avoid any 'Optional' updates until all those classed as 'Priority' are up and running.

This will, hopefully allow all the updates to be installed without problems, if not then at least you have narrowed the problem down considerably.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…