windows update problem

jamesy121 14:18 11 Dec 05

now here is a challenge for u all....

I am trying to update windows without success when i try. it takes a long time then leaves an error
0x80246008 when I go to the help side and follow instructions eg run services.msc and event log
i get an error.

"Windows could not start the background intelligent transfer services on local computer
for more info review the system event log .
contact vendor and refer to service specific error code 2147024894."

I did try and run the event log but i could not start it.

I have tried
Start >Run, type
regsvr32 jscript.dll
enter>

windows update. Still not working
Tried
Start >Run, type
regsvr32 MSXML3.dll
enter>

tried windows update. still not working

Then I
Downloaded and installed the following

click here
tried all but still could not update....

then I found this on the net which may help others but does not seem to work for me.....

Fix for Windows Update 5 Errors
Ever since Microsoft pushed Version 5 of Windows Update onto my XP SP1 system, I have been unable to access Windows Update - until just now. I found it!! I just accessed Windows Update and successfully downloaded and installed updates to my system.
The particular error message I was getting was 0x80072F78 (appeared when Windows Update tried to find the updates for my system), but I think this solution will fix the problem on systems getting other error messages as well. If your error code starts with "800", I think there's a good chance this solution will help.
Create a file on your desktop called wu5_fix.bat and put the following lines in it. (Leave out the dashes on the top and bottom - I'm just putting them there to separate the batch file contents from the rest of the text.)
------------------------------------
net.exe stop wuauserv
cd /d %windir%
rd /s softwaredistribution
REGSVR32 %windir%\system32\wuapi.dll
REGSVR32 %windir%\system32\wuaueng1.dll
REGSVR32 %windir%\system32\wuaueng.dll
REGSVR32 %windir%\system32\wucltui.dll
REGSVR32 %windir%\system32\wups.dll
net.exe start wuauserv
------------------------------------
[[16-Feb-05: This batch file was edited to include an additional Windows Update DLL (wuaueng1.dll). The problem recurred on my system, and the original batch file I posted here didn't fix it. I looked to see if a DLL was missing and found this one. Adding it solved the problem. I also removed the line registering msxml3.dll since it didn't seem necessary. -sc]]
Now open a DOS box and navigate to your desktop, where the batch file is. (If you don't know where your desktop is in the directory structure, then just put the file somewhere you can find - it doesn't matter where you put it.) To execute the batch file, just type the file name at the command prompt (WU5_FIX). Answer "yes" or "okay" to any prompts. Now try Windows Update again. I'll bet it works. This fixed it for me, and I'd tried everything under the sun before this.
This solution is not in any Microsoft Knowledgebase article I've seen (and I've read over a dozen on the topic), nor did the Microsoft Tech Support person I've been corresponding with suggest it. I found pieces of this solution in different forum posts on the internet, and I'm posting it here because it was such a pain in the neck to find. I hope this information helps someone else with the same problem. There are too many critical vulnerabilities in Windows to not have access to Windows Update!
When you try to connect to the Microsoft Windows Update Web site or to the Microsoft Update Web site, you receive one of the following error messages:

• The necessary services are disabled or unavailable. Error 0x80246007

• The necessary services are disabled or unavailable. Error 0x80246008

CAUSE

This problem occurs if the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) is not correctly registered on your computer.

RESOLUTION

To resolve this problem, register the Qmgr.dll and Qmgrprxy.dll BITS files.

To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 qmgr.dll in the Open box, and then click OK.

2. Click OK.

3. Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll in the Open box, and then click OK.

4. Click OK.

tried all this still not working if anybody can suss this out and tell me where I am going wrong this would be great......

Cheers

Sorry forgot to mention running XP Home legit copy

User-312386 14:22 11 Dec 05

Have you got windows updates switched on

Right click my computer and click on the Automatic updates

I would turn them off

also if system restore has thrown a bit of a woblly this can cause updates to go crazy

I would turn off system restore

Restart the computer and then go to windows updates click here

jamesy121 14:46 11 Dec 05

thanx madboy
tried switching off windows update
and restore but still cant load updates

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…