Windows Update problem

Ancient Learner 14:31 14 Oct 05

Scenario.

Newish Laptop. Not on auto update, just the advise that one is available setting. As far as I know it is up to date, except for this last Tuesdays stuff.

My 'tower' PC nicely brought up indicator that the update was available, and all the updates worked with no problem.

Today, used the Laptop for the first time for over a week, and it shows no such indicator even after an hour of use. so I used the Windows update button and got

"Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer" So - I pressed register and reinstall the files - it says it is downloading and then it says it is installing - a very quick note about any activeX warnings (which I don't see, so I assume that they are not there) and back to the Express or custom screen and it all starts again , and again and again.

Any ideas what is going on please and a cure.

Ancient Learner 16:00 14 Oct 05

I have found another thread, and downloaded some updates from click here . They appear to be dated 11th October.

Dare I install these, or will my Windows throw a wobbly.

But that doesn't solve what is iniially wrong!

Ancient Learner 16:48 14 Oct 05

?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:04 14 Oct 05

According to MS update site my old PC XP SP2 from slipstreamed disc, does not have the required software to install updates.

Loads a V6 update package and then asked to do a validation check.

Rember this will not work properly if you try and update using firefox as your browser you must use IE to install updates including the V6 installer.

click here

sunny staines 19:05 14 Oct 05

on this weeks ms update i had warnings re active x and updates not opening, i pressed the refresh buton after 2nd refresh the updates loaded.
not sure if yours is the same problem.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:19 14 Oct 05

Where do I go if I have problems installing an update?
See Windows Update Help and Support for information about these and other options:

Windows Update Troubleshooter click here
Windows Update Support Center click here
Windows Update Newsgroup click here
Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)

Ancient Learner 11:29 15 Oct 05

Thanks sunny staines, I tried that to no avail!

Fruit Bat /\0/\. Thanks. I haven't managed to discover a thing that relates to my problem, however, your second link gave me the opportunity to send an Email to M/s. Hopefully that should provide some kind of answer. I will post the results here.

It is interesting to note that this is the third problem I have encountered with XP in the last month or so, The second with this Laptop, the other being with my Tower PC. Hopefully this won't be as difficult to solve as the first two proved to be!

Ancient Learner 11:44 15 Oct 05

It seems that I am not the only one having problems click here , although the problems related there are not quite the same as mine.

When they talk about manually installing the updates, am I to assume that they mean downloading the updates as as mentioned above and installing them one by one. This is probably obvious to everyone else, but I have this fear of destroying all!!!

Ancient Learner 11:48 15 Oct 05

Sorry the link above is not correct, should be click here

Ancient Learner 14:26 18 Oct 05

I have received an Email reply from M/s, and for anyone else with a similar problem, I've copied it below. It does seem a long winded job to do! However, it will have to wait now until I've unpacked the Laptop after our journey south, about a fortnight hence when we are settled down a bit.

I was impressed with speed of reply, as they did say on the next working day which it was. As a matter of courtesy, I have told them that it will be a little time before I can try out their suggestion.

" From your problem description I understandthe problem: You can not get automatic updates

Before we start trouble shooting did you have any trouble getting your case set up via our website?

Please can you try the following

1. Click Start.

2. Click Control Panel.

3. Double-click Internet Options.

4. Click Delete Cookies and click OK.

5. Click Delete Files and put a checkmark in delete all offline content and click OK.

6. Click Settings, click View Objects

7. Delete all the objects in this folder. If some objects cannot be deleted, please restart the computer and try again.

8. Click the Security tab, Click Internet and click Default Level.

9. Click the Custom Level button.

10. Click Enable" for all under the title ActiveX controls and plug-ins.

11. Click Enable for all under the title Scripting.

12. Click OK.

13. Click the Privacy tab, and click Default button.

14. Click the Advanced tab, click the Restore Defaults button and then uncheck the Enable third-party browser extensions option.

15. Click OK.

16. Click Start > Run > type cmd and then click ok

17. In the command prompt type the following
regsvr32 wuapi.dll and then enter and then click ok
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll and then enter and then click ok
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll and then enter and then click ok
regsvr32 wucltui.dll and then enter and then click ok
regsvr32 wups.dll and then enter and then click ok
regsvr32 wuweb.dll and then enter and then ok
regsvr32 jscript.dll and then enter and then ok
regsvr32 softpub.dll and then enter and then ok
regsvr32 mssip32.dll and then enter and then ok
regsvr32 initpki.dll and then enter and then ok
regsvr32 msxml3.dll and then enter and then ok

18. Type exit and then press enter

19. Restart the computer

20. After Restart

21. Click Start > Run > type services.msc and then press ok

22. Locate service named Automatic Updates and then double-click on it

23. Make sure startup-type is set to automatically and the service is started

24. Press Apply and then OK

25. Locate service named Background Intelligent Transfer Service and then double-click on it

26. Make sure startup-type is set to manual and the service is started

27. Press Apply and then OK

28. Locate service named Event Log and then double-click on it

29. Make sure the startup-type is set to automatic and the service is started

30. Press Apply and then OK

31. Close out of Services and then try doing your windows updates "

Ancient Learner 19:48 02 Nov 05

Now that we have 'arrived' - weather is warm, dark blue skies, and sunny - I have followed the above instructions and have been most pleased to be able to Email Microsoft with the message that they worked!

But why it didn't without this correction, in the first place, I find a worry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…