Windows update problem.

alex 22:21 30 Oct 03

I am running win xp pro. Recently when ever I try windows update, it will find the new patches and tries to install it, will progress upto about %95 then get a message in red that it failed to installed.
I checked my windows update log file and the error code is 0x80070080. Then checked the iuhist.xml file the the error code is 2147024768 &2147023293.

This is what I have done based on searching the net and get some advice from tech professionals.

I have deleted my windows update folder,
I have downloaded the critical patches and tried to install them in safe mode, which they did, but they come up again under windows update scan,

Disabled Norton and firewall,

So looking for some fresh tips to overcome this nasty problem as I can not afford to format the drive.
Thanks

toni b 00:11 31 Oct 03

I had a similar problem and some kind soul on this forum suggested downloading patches to HD then installing the from HD which worked,and when I tried installing patches I was informed by windows that a service I needed was not running hence the reason instalation was unsucessful, hope that info helps

Regards Toni

The Spires 00:30 31 Oct 03

This was posted on here a while ago:

Open Explorer and navigate to Windows/System32 and rename (or delete) the folder Catroot2 to OldCatroot2. This changes the time stamps and makes Windows believe it has not tried to upload the updates before.

Or:

Type into CMD.

del /q "%SystemRoot%\System32\Catroot2\Edb.log

hugh-265156 01:33 31 Oct 03

if you have xp cryptographic services need to be set to automatic oterwise the updates will download ok but hang or fail to install.

scheduled tasks service needs to be set to auto also if you have it set to update and install them automatically.

check start/control panel/administrative tools/services click the above services and set both to automatic from the drop down list of start up types,click apply and ok and restart the computer to take effect.try the updates again.

hugh-265156 01:35 31 Oct 03

oops!above should be task scheduler service not scheduled tasks,sorry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…