Windows Update - nForce Serial ATA Controller

Pine Man 11:55 02 Aug 07

NVIDIA Corporation driver update for NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller published on Windows Update on 29 July 2007 as an optional update.

After installing the update and rebooting my computer I noticed that the ‘Safely Remove Hardware’ icon had appeared in the task bar and when clicked on it gave me the opportunity to Safely Remove both of my SATA Hard Drives (C&D)!
I rolled back the drivers to the previous ones installed and the icon no longer appears in the task bar.

I have Vista Home Premium installed and 2 Seagate SATA hard drives. My motherboard is an Asus P5N-E SLI nForce 650i SLI (C55).

Has anybody else come across this.

hssutton 12:18 02 Aug 07

I have the Asus M2NPV_VM board with 2 x Ide drives C & C(D) plus 2 x Sata drives I & K + card reader drives G,H,J,L,M.

I also have the Safely Remove icon, but only for G,H,J,L,& M. this is as it was before the update.

I'm using Vista Ultimate

johndrew 12:22 02 Aug 07

I also have SATA drives and applied this update. My ‘Safely Remove Hardware’ icon is usually hidden but if I select the arrow on the right of the Toolbar it is always present; as I believe it should be.

Any icon in the Toolbar that is selected will become visible, certainly in the short term, but, depending on your set up, may well become `hidden` if not used. I think the update simply activated the icon in some way and made it visible; had you left it, it would probably have been hidden again in the near future. I doubt the update had anything to do with what you noted as if I select my ‘Safely Remove Hardware’ icon I can remove not only my drives but other hardware as well.

Pine Man 12:25 02 Aug 07

Thanks for your response hssutton.

I have got A,C,D,E,F&G.

G is a removable drive and the remainder are either IDE or SATA drives.

Up until I installed the update the Safely Remove Icon only appeared in the Task Bar when I inserted my removable drive G and disappeared when G was removed.

After the installation the icon was permanant inviting the removal of C & D, which are SATA drives. No others were listed unless I inserted the removable drive G.

Pine Man 12:28 02 Aug 07

Thanks for that it appears that everybody sees different things!

I definitely haven't got the icon in my taskbar unless I insert my removable drive.

hssutton 12:37 02 Aug 07

Have just checked to make sure that no cards where in the reader (there's usually one) however in this case all cards had been removed, and G,H,L,& M were still showing in "Safely Remove"

Pine Man 13:33 02 Aug 07

Further research now suggests that nVidia expect all SATA drives to show in Safely Remove Hardware as they could be removeable. My research also suggests that if you try to safely remove your hard drive with the o/s installed on it you will not be able to do so. I am NOT going to be the one to try that!!!

This info applies to XP but I am assuming it also applies to Vista.

I'll tick this as resolved.

Thank you for your input guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac