windows update needs cd?

sunny staines 20:30 12 Aug 08

high priority update for microsoft works 8 has appeared on windows update. during install it asks for the CD? this software was preinstalled on the sony laptop with no cd.

any clues how to get round this one please.

wolfie3000 20:34 12 Aug 08

If its after the CD then i guess its after a particular file on it, maybe you can re direct =it to the file on your hard drive.

sunny staines 20:40 12 Aug 08

wolfie3000

I have the option to browse for the cd, but not sure which folder to select in lieu cannot see a works folder

wolfie3000 20:44 12 Aug 08

If you can work out what file it wants then you can search windows for it.

sunny staines 20:52 12 Aug 08

found the folder and set that up the the option in lieu of cd. but then asked for works8.msi done a search for this on all drives but nothing found tried all the various sub folders in works folder but the update will have none of it.

must be hundreds out there with the same problem with no cd supplied, very surprised nothing posted anywhere else.

Zak 22:03 12 Aug 08

I have the cd and the said file works8.msi BUT update still failed saying that this was not the correct installation file. My MSWorks had been previously updated to 8.5 via MS update.

Not sure what to do so I uninstalled MSWorks as I do not use it as I use MS Office.

I kept it just in case of helping out others with any problems.

sunny staines 13:08 13 Aug 08

zak

i too had a big upgrade to ms works ages ago bringing it to ver 8 no cd asked for then.

BurrWalnut 15:19 13 Aug 08

This person found a solution click here

sunny staines 15:41 13 Aug 08

BurrWalnut

thanks your link looks good when i get access to the xp laptop i will give it a go.

sunny staines 23:29 13 Aug 08

BurrWalnut
tried the links in your link none of them help.

any other ideas please.

sunny staines 23:53 13 Aug 08

click here

sorted from the link provided for some reason the uk download did not install, tried the us version downloaded to desktop then extracted from there and installed worked, ms updates rerun and all clear

burrwalnut thanks. the net is now full of this problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant