Windows Update KB2286198

She 10:08 11 Aug 10

Since automatically downloading the above update on 3/8/10 both mine and my husbands computers have taken more than 15 minutes to start up. As a trial I have removed this update on my computer and it is now starting "normally". Having just had an email from Microsoft regarding the regular August updates (2nd Tuesday)it reminds one to make sure that KB 2286198 was downloaded. Has anyone else experienced this problem with that particular critical update and if so did they find a fix other than removing it.

birdface 10:33 11 Aug 10

Have you downloaded all of last nights updates yet.
That may improve the performance.

birdface 10:38 11 Aug 10

I presume that you have SP3 installed.
That update installed with no problems on my computer using W/7.
I only asked as I am not sure if that update was only for those that use SP3.
I know users that have only got SP2 will not be able to download certain updates anymore.

johndrew 10:43 11 Aug 10

I find in most cases the first start/reboot after updates is a bit slow as the OS reconfigures but thereafter a 'normal' time for booting resumes.

I installed KB2286198 on the 4/8/10 and had no problem. However there have been some reports of difficulty where some types of AV have been running during installation. A quick Google revealed these click here

The fix appears to download the hotfix and install with the AV off click here. Maybe this would resolve your problem.

She 20:21 11 Aug 10

Buteman,

Many thanks for your input. I have downloaded yesterdays updates now. It took me three goes! I kept getting a Windows error which made me abort. Third time lucky and having gone into Taskmaster I found each time I booted the computer wuauclt.exe was taking some 170,000 KB's of memory and was running for some 20 minutes. So I have changed the download time and it seems to be better. The update downloaded KB 2286198 with no problem, so now I shall try it on my husbands computer. Many thanks for your responses everybody.

birdface 21:03 11 Aug 10

The wuauclt.exe process is part of the Windows Auto Update and checks the Microsoft website for any potential Windows software or hardware updates. It is generally listed in the Task Manager's processes and is a legitimate process that poses no security threats to your computer.
So looks like nothing to worry about with that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…