Windows update isn't working

leongraham 13:57 07 Apr 03

Hi I have windows 2000 professional and I have tried to run windows update but it comes up with;

"Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page"

does anyone know how to resolve this problem. Please reply

leon

medicine hat 15:37 07 Apr 03

This problem seems quite common after installing SP3. I found these sugestions:

Solution #1:
One solution might be:

Delete c:\program files\windowsupdate

Do the same to c:\winnt\system32\windowsupdate (a hidden directory)

Try windows update again.

Solution #2:
The official way to clear out Windows Update is:

Some of these files are hidden files, please enable "Show Hidden Files and Folders" from your Folder options.

To delete Windows Update files:

Double click on My Computer, double click on C:\

Open the "WUTEMP" folder and delete the contents of the folder (If any files exist).

Double click the Program Files folder, then the 'Windows Update' folder. We will then need to delete all files & folders within this directory except the "V4" folder.

To do so, highlight the "V4" folder, then click Edit from the menu bar at top of the window and choose Invert Selection. If you cannot locate the "V4" folder, please skip this step, and then continue to delete the rest of the files by choosing Select All instead of Invert Selection.

Once all of the other files are highlighted, simply hit the Delete key on your keyboard to delete these files.

Next we need to delete all the files & folders within the V4 directory except the "iuhist.xml" file. To do so, perform the same steps as above by highlighting
the "iuhist.xml" file, then clicking Edit from the menu bar at top of the window and choose Invert Selection.

Once these other files are highlighted, again hit the Delete key on your keyboard to delete the files.

Next delete all the contents of the WUTemp folder (if it exists, if not skip this step).

Next Unregister old control:

Go to Start > run

Type: "regsvr32 /u C:\WINNT\System32\IUCTL.dll" (Without Quotes. You should get a unregistered successfully message)

Find your old site controls:

Go to Start > Search

Type "IUCTL.DLL" (Without Quotes)

Select the Search button.

Next Search and delete the IUEngine.dll file (Same as above).

Please delete any trace of the files IUCTL.DLL and IUENGINE.DLL

Reboot and try to access Windows Update again.

Solution #3:
If that doesn't work, try the next one:

Empty the hidden directory c:\WUTemp. Try again. If that doesn't work...

Type the following URL in Internet Explorer

click here

It will popup a dialog asking you to save iuctl.cab. Click on Save button.

Save iuctl.cab on your machine and extract its contents into a folder.

Once you extract you will have the following files:

iuctl.dll

iuengine.dll

iuctl.inf

Right click on iuctl.inf and select install. This will install the new iuctl.dll and iuengine.dll.

Open IE, clear out temporary internet files, and try again...

Hope this helps
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

leongraham 16:33 07 Apr 03

i tried your suggestions but unfortunately the problem still occurs. Do you or any others have any suggestions that might fix the problem??

leon

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…