WINDOWS UPDATE ;INSTALL FAILURE XP HOME

EARLR 17:29 26 Apr 03

WHIN I ORIGINALY LOADED SECURITY UPDATE 328310 THE SCREEN WOULD GO BLANK FOR A FEW SECOUNDS ON LOG IN .
WAS TOLD BY UKFASTNOTEBOOKS TO RESTORE TO BEFORE DOWNLOAD AND A FIX WOULD BE COMMING OUT.
NOW WINDOWS UPDATE KEEPS TELLING ME TO DOWNLOAD THE UPDATE AND WHEN I TRY IT FAILS.
ANYONE KNOW A FIX?
DELL IS LESS THAN HELPFULL

Big Elf 17:38 26 Apr 03

This may work. Find the catroot2 folder in windows\system32 and rename it to oldcatroot2. Then try the updates again.

Big Elf 17:54 26 Apr 03

I was a bit too quick with my suggestion and have now realised that although my suggestion may enable you to allow updates to work again it doesn't solve the problem you had with update 328310. I've read and pasted in the official MS Information as follows:

"If you restrict access between different users of your computer, you should install this update. If you are the only person who uses your computer, or if you don't use passwords or other measures to limit access to accounts on your computer, it is not important that you install this update."

If as suggested in the note you are the only user then it looks as though the update may not be required.

EARLR 20:06 26 Apr 03

have tried your 1st suggestion. didn't work/
all i want is to have windows update to stop reminding that i dont have the update installed.

thanx.

Big Elf 20:23 26 Apr 03

Oh dear, it does often work but unfortunately not in your case. To turn off Automatic updates select Start, Settings, Control panel then double click on Administrative Tools then click on Services. Double click on Automatic Updates and in the Startup Type box select disabled instead of Automatic.

You will still be able to check for updates manually by clicking on Start, Windows Updates.

Regards

Big Elf

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…