//some 3rd party need geo

Windows update and IE problem

slowhand_1000 20:16 06 Feb 04

A Friend has the following problem(s)
O/S XP Home

About 3 weeks ago he started having problems trying to access secure sites ie: online banking/building society etc. He was given a Verisign web address off his bank to get the latest certificate. But he cannot access the page.

I told him to try windows update to see if there was a fix – he doesn’t update often. When trying to access the windows update page he got the following error message

Windows Update Error.
Windows Update has encountered an error cannot display the requested page.

There are a couple of fixes in windows knowledge base click here;en-us;830086&Product=winxp

The first one suggest installing SP1 or SP1a with a link to the latest SP. But of course this takes you back to windows update and he gets the same error message.

The second one suggests amending the registry
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Run dialog box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. In Registry Editor, locate and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows
4. In the right pane, double-click CSDVersion.
5. In the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, under Value data, type 0 (zero), and then click OK.
6. On the File menu, click Exit.
7. Restart your computer, and then visit the Windows Update Web site to try to update Windows again.

But the entry that needs amending is not there.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Diodorus Siculus 20:59 06 Feb 04

Try getting WinXP SP1 on CD; MS are giving it to people or if you don't want to wait that long, email me and I will send it to you on a CD.

slowhand_1000 21:03 06 Feb 04

Just thinking, when he checked the version of Windows (Help/About Windows)it didn't say next to the version whether he has SP1.

Is there anyway of checking within XP if it's listed

Diodorus Siculus 21:07 06 Feb 04

Right click on My Computer and choose properties; what will likely tell you what SP, if any, is installed.

slowhand_1000 23:13 06 Feb 04

Thanks for the offer. I will contact my friend tomorrow and check if he has any SP installed.

cheers

Yokel 12:21 07 Feb 04

Is it at all possible that your friend is on BTO dialup and the problems have ceased? These were some of the symptoms of a BTO routing problem that lasted from 14th to 24th Jan if I recall correctly. Secure banking sites failing, and Windows Update in my case, but also widespread email/newsgroup problems.

If he's still in trouble now or not on BTO then forget I spoke.

slowhand_1000 15:37 07 Feb 04

Ah interesting, he was on dialup and his email address was @btopenworld, but the last couple of days or so has changed to b/b with Tiscali.

slowhand_1000 18:54 08 Feb 04

My friend was running Norton Internet Security and for some unknown reason it decided to block access to secure sites. He had to go to Symantec site and download 2 files to un-install the program.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…