windows update - How to control

Amer 14:50 29 Oct 08

Hi,

Whenver I put computer on first thing in morning, any web page I try to access causes my computer to freeze, until after about 2 mins the Windows update programme has finished checking for updates in the background, and then a bubble pops up saying automatic windows update is switched off and it might be unsafe etc. After that bubble has appearded all is fine. Internet works fine. Also when I close down sometimes, the machine says do you want to install updates before close down so clearly it is updating automatically even though I would rather have control over this process.

Can I stop all this automatic updating in Windows???

Rahere 14:52 29 Oct 08

You can set the update just to inform you that updates are available and download when you want or more drastically turn of updates but this isn't recommended as you will still be nagged by windows to turn it on!!

birdface 14:59 29 Oct 08

You can remove Automatic Updates.And update manually.Updates are usually 2nd Tuesday of the month.But you can run a scan anytime.

birdface 15:04 29 Oct 08

Security Center.Turn off automatic updates. Then on the left hand side click on,Change the way security service alerts me.Just untick them all they are not needed.And no nagging to turn it back on.

Rahere 15:07 29 Oct 08

I forgot that one - nice catch buteman!

Amer 15:09 29 Oct 08

Thanks guys,

followed your instructions and have disabled the auto updates.

Amer Khalil

Stuartli 15:51 29 Oct 08

Rather than compromise the security of your system, from Security Center configure WindowsUpdate to Notify You Of Updates But Not Download Or Install Them.

Afterwards, if you click on the yellow icon and select Custome, you can choose which, if any, updates you require and download and install them.

When you OK this choice, a panel will appear asking if you wish to be informed again of updates that you have rejected?

Tick the box to indicate No.

Amer 21:55 29 Oct 08

Yes that sounds more sensible. I will change my settings accordingly

Amer Khalil

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant