windows update history - nearly all failed!!?

second best 16:48 11 Oct 03

hi, i have just dloaded all of the critical updates for xp, but my comp froze right at the end of the dload. now if i go to update there are no more , but in history it appears that most have failed. does this mean that they wont install. or whatever it means, can you tell me?

spikeychris 16:56 11 Oct 03

Theres the easy way and theres the hard way...

Just use system restore and go back to yesterday or there abouts and do it again.

You probably guessed....thats the easy way..

hugh-265156 17:39 11 Oct 03

make sure cryptographic services is set to auto in

start/control panel/performance and maintenance/administrative tools/services

scroll down to it and double click it and select automatic from the choice of start up types and restart the computer.

if its set to manual or disabled the updates will download ok but fail when installing.

the lone cloner 19:59 11 Oct 03

have a look at click here it's a useful site.

The Spires 21:07 11 Oct 03

Open Explorer and navigate to Windows/System32 and rename (delete) the folder Catroot2 to OldCatroot2. This changes the time stamps and makes Windows believe it has not tried to upload the updates before.

Or:

Type into CMD.

del /q "%SystemRoot%\System32\Catroot2\Edb.log

This was copied from a this site a while ago as I found it useful, I'm not sure of the original poster.

second best 12:57 12 Oct 03

thnks guys i have tried what you all suggested. all has gone ok, except update is still telling me i only need one more update. i shud mention that in add/remove programmes there are a lot of hotfix installers, would this mean that they are installed after all. how can i check that they are.

the spires, this is still happening after i have changed to 'oldcatroot2'!

the lone cloner 16:24 12 Oct 03

open up my computer rt click on hard drive select windows rt click to open scroll through the list to see what is there.

second best 01:41 13 Oct 03

hhhmm. ok, lone cloner, done that. at least 20 q's with numbers and 5 or 6 k's with numbers. does this mean they are there or is it just s log file of the dowload?

the lone cloner 17:06 13 Oct 03

they are there.

second best 23:12 13 Oct 03

ok, i'll leave it a tthat. hope it all goes well, thanks all. later.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…