Windows update has removed Internet Explorer toolbars

Pineman100 10:26 15 Aug 13
Answered

Windows 8 64-bit. Internet Explorer 10.

When I switched off my computer last night, it installed a Windows update, which completed when I switched on this morning.

I now find that Internet Explorer won't show the Menu Bar or the Norton Toolbar, even though both of these are ticked in the Tools>Toolbars options.

I have tried unticking these items, restarting IE and then ticking them again, but this hasn't worked.

Can anyone please help me to get these toolbars back?

Pineman100 10:32 15 Aug 13

Sorry - I should just add that both these toolbars are enabled in Manage Add-Ons.

spuds 10:36 15 Aug 13

Not much help here, but I found this morning quite a number of updates for XP ready to install, and the computer gave a message that it was unable to install most of the updates suggested?.

I tend to stick with IE 8, because of the problems that I have had with later IE products and updates!.

Pineman100 11:51 15 Aug 13

spuds - I've been running IE10 for months without problems, until this one.

Pineman100 11:55 15 Aug 13

Jock1e - thanks for that idea. If all else fails I will do it, but for the present I'm hoping that someone can advise me on a solution that doesn't involve a reset.

Pineman100 12:08 15 Aug 13

I've just noticed that the Taskbar also disappears when IE is open. That's never happened before.

Grrrr....!

spuds 12:14 15 Aug 13

I have just put " after windows 8 update internet explorer and norton toolbar not working" into a Google search, and a number of possible ideas or solutions have appeared. Perhaps worth a look there, to see if any fits the bill, while waiting for someone else to respond?.

Pineman100 12:35 15 Aug 13

Thanks for that suggestion, spuds. I tried your wording in a Google search and, as you predicted, received a number of suggested solutions. Unfortunately all of them suggested tinkering with IE10 in ways that are already set in my version.

Pineman100 13:54 15 Aug 13

Well, I'll be....! F11 worked! Thank you so much, Jock1e!

What does F11 actually do?

Woolwell 16:46 15 Aug 13

F11 = Full Screen (without toolbars and bits and top and bottom). It toggles between normal view and full screen.

Pineman100 17:07 15 Aug 13

Shame on me for not knowing that!

Many thanks again Jock1e and to Woolwell for that explanation.

I do wish that Windows updates wouldn't muck about with my settings. Pretty well every time I get an update I find that something has gone awry. Fortunately I have a rough idea of how to re-apply most of them. But it's ruddy irritating!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…