Windows Update gone in the wrong drive!

amyfleur 23:28 22 Nov 06

This afternoon I found the following folder in my D drive, which is solely used as a back-up drive (ACER Aspire 1640):

169544da8f20ab74dd3b30e0a63c53

In the folder is the following file:

msxml4-KB927978-enu.log

which was downloaded on 19th Nov 2006 at 23:32.

I have spent 4 hours on Microsoft's website trying to find out what the folder / file is, researching and posting questions ??

It is beyond my expertise (or lack of)

Cannot understand what the file is for / why it has been filed in my D drive!

Any help please? Can I delete it? Or move it? If so, where?

Thank you.

Hertz Van Rentyl 23:41 22 Nov 06

Its a windows update, you should be able to uninstall it from add/remove programs, then run Windows update and it should download again to your usual update location.

Hertz Van Rentyl 23:44 22 Nov 06

lives here if you want to download it by hand
click here

Hertz Van Rentyl 23:47 22 Nov 06

Pardon me it's a log file I suppose not the file itself, I suppose you could still uninstall it dump the log file and download again to your preffered place.

julia23 20:03 23 Nov 06

I have exactly the same problem with the same update,msxml4-KB927978-enu.log, installed on the 17/11 at 22:52. It is showing as installed in Add/Remove programs and for some reason the log file? which in my case is in a folder named ce53395e9420f954ab9d5aa1e56c31 has gone to my external hard drive ā€˜Eā€™. Can I just delete this folder and where do they normally go, if anywhere? How did it end up on my 'E' drive.

Thanks for any help.

Jackcoms 20:14 23 Nov 06

This is becoming an old chestnut. There have been several threads about this recently click here

julia23 20:26 23 Nov 06

Jackcoms. Thank you. Sorted.

Julia.

amyfleur 21:47 23 Nov 06

Jackcoms - thanks from me too. I knew I could rely on PCA for some helpful answers.

amyfleur 22:12 23 Nov 06

One final comment on this subject. Received a reply from MS help website:

"Found the following on :
click here
(You might have a look at the full thread)

Q :WHY did it write a log to my external drive?
A :This is normal. XP will use for temporary storage purposes the connected drive with the most free space.
It creates temporary folders named similar to yours ........ It usually
cleans up after itself when done with Windows Update, but not always.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…