Windows update failure

m800afc 07:27 20 Aug 07

For the last week now I have been trying to download and install the following Windows updates:

Security Update for Office 2003 (KB936048)
Update for Outlook Junk Email Filter 2003 (KB936643)
Security Update for Excel 2003 (KB940602)

They appear to download, but refuse to install. The troubleshooter is no help at all. My OS is XP Pro. How can I resolve this?

Technotiger 07:44 20 Aug 07

This might help ...

click here

birdface 08:56 20 Aug 07

Try this, click here It has helped a few folk with the same problem.I was just wondering ,there was about 11 up-dates last week,Did the rest of them download Ok,If so maybe this will not work.

m800afc 17:15 21 Aug 07

Buteman,
Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried as you suggest, but with no success. Anyone have any other ideas?

m800afc 07:40 30 Aug 07

Security Update for Office 2003 (KB936048)
Update for Outlook Junk Email Filter 2003 (KB936643)
Security Update for Excel 2003 (KB940602)

I am still not able to install these updates. Neither my desktop or my laptop installs the updates after downloading them. The pop up saying "New downloads" are available is getting very annoying. Is there anything that can be done to resolve this issue?

etlcnes 07:51 30 Aug 07

This wotked in the past for me when I had similar issues with other installs

Verify that BITS is correctly configured
Verify that BITS is correctly configured. Then, try to start BITS. When you try to start BITS, you may receive one of several error messages. These error messages are listed in the "Troubleshooting steps" section. If you receive an error message when you try to start BITS, follow the steps in the section that corresponds to the error message that you receive.

To verify that BITS is correctly configured and then start BITS, follow these steps:1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
2. Double-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
3. In the Startup type box, click Manual, and then click Apply.
4. Click the Log On tab, and then verify that the service is enabled in every hardware profile that is listed. If the service is disabled in one or more hardware profiles, click the hardware profile, click Enable, and then click Apply.
5. Click the General tab, and then click Start.
If BITS starts successfully, visit the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site to obtain updates. If you successfully obtain updates, follow steps 1 to 3 again. However, in step 3, click Automatic instead of Manual.

Apply all then try running MS Update again

birdface 11:43 30 Aug 07

We had someone on here a fortnight ago who dissabled all his add-ons ,And was then able to install his up-dates.Worth a try if you are using Internet Explorer.

brundle 11:58 30 Aug 07

DialAFix - click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…