windows update driver

sinbad1 17:33 14 Sep 04

I have a netgear MA111 802.11b usb wireless adapter.
I am running xp everything works fine;but i keep getting a windows driver update, says that this driver is digitally signed etc.
Problem is when I download this driver netgear won't work, and have to use system restore.
anyone have any ideas why this is so
Thanks

Stuartli 17:43 14 Sep 04

Being USB you are most likely to have to install the driver first and reinstall the adapter.

Download it to your desktop, uninstall the adapter, install the driver and then reboot to allow installation.

Forum Editor 17:48 14 Sep 04

I've also been having this problem on one of my machines. In my case it's a driver for a D-Link USB wireless network adapter that causes the problem. It was offered by the Windows XP professional update site, and at first I couldn't grasp that it was this driver causing the problem - I lost use of the adapter completely. A quick roll-back to an earlier restore point and all was fine.

The update site keeps offering me the driver, but I know better, and now I ignore it.

sinbad1 17:51 14 Sep 04

Not quite sure ?
The driver is downloaded from windows update with no options to save to desktop, should i uninstall the driver then download?

Forum Editor 17:53 14 Sep 04

that I think Stuartli's probably right. All USB network adapters like to have the driver installed before they are added, and if you remove your netgear hardware in Control panel/system/hardware/device manager, install the driver, reboot the computer and then connect the adapter you may well find that all is well.

I simply haven't had time to try it on my machine, but I'll probably find it works for me too.

sinbad1 17:54 14 Sep 04

I have had this problem before and like you ignorerd it but thought after installing sp2 it might work.

sinbad1 18:00 14 Sep 04

I would still need to save to desktop.How do i do that from windows update, since if i uninstall netgear i will not be able to get on the net?

sinbad1 20:50 14 Sep 04

Just to let you know guys that i have downloaded the win update driver then reinstalled software and all is well
thanks all for your input.
roy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…