Windows update download failure

Balancingbernardi 10:03 26 Mar 03

On the windows update site I can scan and choose my updates to download and when I click on "Install Now" the licence agreement screen appears, which I accept, then the "download in progress" screen appears, but nothing downloads. The progress bar remains blank.

When choosing which updates to install The Add or Remove buttons do not work either.

soup dragon 10:15 26 Mar 03

Snap!

Same prob on my computer.

hoverman 10:26 26 Mar 03

I had a similar problem some time ago except that I could not progress beyong the licence agreement screen. The way I got round it, with help from Microsoft Support, was to open Internet Explorer Properties, click on Settings under Temporary Internet Files, select View Objects and delete everthing in there. Not sure if this will work in your case but it will do no harm to try.

kingkenny 10:33 26 Mar 03

I have tried to download two updates several times and each time receive the response "installation failed". It downloads them but then fails in installation. I am not sure why this is happening.

But then it occured to me, my PC works fine!

If it isn't broke don't fix it!

(I appreciate the irony in that comment when talking about Windows!)

hoverman 10:38 26 Mar 03

Do not quite agree with you. If the updates are 'critical' ones then these should be installed.

Lozzy 10:48 26 Mar 03

Try doing it in safe mode

ribo 12:33 26 Mar 03
  Balancingbernardi 16:26 26 Mar 03

Still no joy my friends. Get past the licence agreement and as far as the web dialog "download in progress" but no progress bar. Tried all suggested fixes so far. Your help is much appreciated.

Megatyte 17:40 26 Mar 03

Do you have a download manager trying to grab it? They don't work with Mcro$oft.

AH

Mango Grummit 18:46 26 Mar 03

I have two machines here, one is three years old and has always updated with no problems. My new (additional) one bought in November last year will not update just as described above. All settings are identical on both machines -- checked, double checked numerous times, updates will not install.

I packed up trying after a week or so, reinstalled clean OS and have not tried since. If I could I would but there is a school of thought that says, at least for the average home user, that the updates are not too necessary anyway, the "critical ones being important to businesses for security purposes only.

As I have nothing that could be defined as a high security risk anyway I'll not lose too much sleep about it and after all is said and done the four month old one with no updates is working in exactly the same way as the one with over three years worth of updates on board.

I know there are at least two well respected chaps who come on here who have never updated their W98 systems from the word go saying that with a firewall and a good anti virus they are not necessary.

Balancingbernardi 21:38 26 Mar 03

I have had this PC for 4.5 years and this is 1st time I have had any problems. 2 in the last 2 months. Problem 1 fixed by one of the forum's respected members and this one. I have XP Pro SP1 and have always used MS update site without a hitch. I think I'll put problem 2 to bed and forget it as I have a decent AV and Firewall and maybe it's time to update the whole machine anyway.

Thanks for the advice anyway friends

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…