Windows Update Critical Update not responding

Edith 13:26 03 Sep 03

Is anyone else having a problem getting through to Windows support. I downloaded a patch for Windows Media Player 7.1 on Monday and since then have not been able to access the critical updates site or more accurately Microsoft informs me there is an error. I am unable to contact them by email as when I click on support it advises the page is unavailable. I am using AOL if that is of any help. Can anyone tell me if they are having problems?

dth 14:00 03 Sep 03

I had a problem downloading a MS update last night (tried 3 times) - so I suspect the difficulties may be with the MS site.

johnbhoy 15:57 03 Sep 03

Edith,

I have had the same problem for a few days now with both Microsoft Update and Hotmail. I am also using AOL as my ISP. There is an earlier thread about it also.

I have been able to access both sites from my work PC, using work Internet connection, not sure if the problem is only with AOL or with other ISPs.

Cheers

JohnBhoy

feb 16:10 03 Sep 03

Hello Edith
apparently theres a problem that aol & msn are trying to work out, they're asking for patience!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Did you sort out your ie6 problem?

Socalled 18:32 03 Sep 03

just downloaded latest critical update"KB824105"
No problems,
are you getting an error message?like page cannot be displayed?

Edith 20:51 03 Sep 03

feb - thank you for your respnse and I have also now seen the message on AOL help about a communications problem betwen AOL and MSN. As for my other problem with ie6 I regret I am no further forward. Even trying to delete the files does not work as when I reboot they re-appear! When I have the time I am going to reload ME and see if that does the trick but I am also being advised that ME is not a good OS and I should upgrade to XP.

Edith 20:53 03 Sep 03

Socalled - Yes that is exactly it. I get a message that the page cannot be displayed.

Socalled 23:50 03 Sep 03

sorry for not getting back to you earlier
,solution you require-go to start/run type regedit
then click on the + sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
then SYSTEM/current control set(Not the ones with numbers alongside) just current control set/control/windows.then double click on CSD version and change the value to 0 .click ok and restart. and try your update again be sure to reboot,best of luck.if you have any further probs feel free to email me.

OneSirKnight 00:08 04 Sep 03

I Am not trying to undermind socalled good advise,but just thought you or others would like to read this.
This may occur if Service Pack 1 has been removed from the computer either through System
Restore or by reinstalling Windows XP into the same directory. You may see a page that states that the Web page has an unexpected error or cannot display the page that was requested.
resolutions
The value for the CSDVersion in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows
needs to be changed to 0. If you are comfortable editing the registry, follow the instructions below.
1. Click "Start," and then click "Run."
2. In the Open box type regedit and click "OK."
3. Browse in the left frame to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows
4. In the right frame you will see the key CSDVersion. Double click this key.
5. Change the value to 0 and click "OK."
6. Restart the computer.

feb 00:15 04 Sep 03

Hi Edith
It seems like your only option, ME can be a problem if you don't keep on top of it! An upgrade might be the best way to go. Sorry we couldn't help with this one.

wawadave 07:09 04 Sep 03

how to run m.e well verion 5
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…