windows update cannot connect since network setup

willo500 16:15 25 Apr 06

Hi

I recently set up a home network using Netgear DG834G and WG111 adapter on my desktop. My default browser is Firefox. Since then I cannot get windoes update to run. It attempts to go to the update site then says it cannot access it offline and needs to connect. A dialogue comes up offering to connect me to my old USB broadband modem connection even though I am already connected!

I am not sure what to do. Should I uninstall the modem since it might be confusing the system or not? IE works fine as long as I just browse the net as usual but as soon as windows update is required it wont work.

All help gratefully received.

Willie

mgmcc 17:37 25 Apr 06

<<< Should I uninstall the modem since it might be confusing the system or not? >>>

Yes, uninstall the modem software. Also, in Internet Explorer's menus, "Tools > Internet Options", select the Connections tab and set it to "Never dial a connection".

willo500 21:17 28 Apr 06

Thanks for the advice mgmcc. Does anyone know what I need to do about Firefox's internet connection settings because they are bit different from IE.

Thanks

Willie

VoG II 21:29 28 Apr 06

Tou will not be able to access Windows Update using Firefox without click here

willo500 22:10 28 Apr 06

Thanks for the info VoG I wasn't really bothered about using Firefox for windows updates I was just wondering if I needed to do anything with Firefox's connection settings in a similar way as mgmcc advised me to do with IE

Thanks

Willie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

How to lose weight with an Apple Watch