windows update cannot connect since network setup

willo500 16:15 25 Apr 06

Hi

I recently set up a home network using Netgear DG834G and WG111 adapter on my desktop. My default browser is Firefox. Since then I cannot get windoes update to run. It attempts to go to the update site then says it cannot access it offline and needs to connect. A dialogue comes up offering to connect me to my old USB broadband modem connection even though I am already connected!

I am not sure what to do. Should I uninstall the modem since it might be confusing the system or not? IE works fine as long as I just browse the net as usual but as soon as windows update is required it wont work.

All help gratefully received.

Willie

mgmcc 17:37 25 Apr 06

<<< Should I uninstall the modem since it might be confusing the system or not? >>>

Yes, uninstall the modem software. Also, in Internet Explorer's menus, "Tools > Internet Options", select the Connections tab and set it to "Never dial a connection".

willo500 21:17 28 Apr 06

Thanks for the advice mgmcc. Does anyone know what I need to do about Firefox's internet connection settings because they are bit different from IE.

Thanks

Willie

VoG II 21:29 28 Apr 06

Tou will not be able to access Windows Update using Firefox without click here

willo500 22:10 28 Apr 06

Thanks for the info VoG I wasn't really bothered about using Firefox for windows updates I was just wondering if I needed to do anything with Firefox's connection settings in a similar way as mgmcc advised me to do with IE

Thanks

Willie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…