Windows Update

poogles_uk 21:45 05 Jul 03

Hi,
I run ME and i have recently reinstalled, when trying to run windows upadate i get:

Administrators Only

To install items from Windows Update, you must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

Note If you are running a Windows 2000 (except DataCenter), Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003 operating system, you can run the local administrator account on your computer without having to log off and then log on again.

But Im using ME. What can i do?

jazzypop 23:59 05 Jul 03

You could try this workaround (from MS)

"Problem description:

Several problems on the Windows Update site can be caused by outdated or mismatched site
software. To install updated software for Windows Update on all operating systems other than Windows 95 or Windows NT 4.0, please follow the instructions below.

Resolution:

For Windows 98 and Windows Millenium Edition:
download the controls from click here and
save them to your desktop. Extract the .cab file following the steps below:

1. Go to the desktop and right click the iuctl.cab file.

2. Click "Extract to."

3. Point to a known location (like the desktop) and click "OK."

4. Go to the location you selected and right click on the iuctl.inf file.

5. Click "Install."

jazzypop 00:08 06 Jul 03

See also click here and click here (scroll down to 'Administrator restrictions when trying to use Windows Update.'

poogles_uk 11:13 07 Jul 03

Ive tried these and they dont' work.,

Is there a link on the Microsoft site to directly download the system restore patch?

I found a site with these lists and i can't find it. Any ideas?

Is there a way to get Windows Update to Work?

jazzypop 22:32 07 Jul 03

Similar question - does this help? - click here

poogles_uk 10:25 08 Jul 03

I dont think this will work as i can't get onto windows update at all, but i will try when i get a chance to use my own computer.

poogles_uk 21:47 11 Jul 03

This is hard to find the page for the updates.

poogles_uk 21:48 11 Jul 03

As i can't get onto personalize windows update

NICK ADSL UK 22:19 11 Jul 03

hi poogles_UK there is one other thing you could try go to start then run type in MSCONFIG then tick on disable all the computer will then reboot and all your security devices will be dis abled.This will now allow the active x to load from the Microsoft website

poogles_uk 06:53 02 Aug 03

There is no disable all the computer.

Gaz 25 10:59 02 Aug 03

Is the folder: Dowloaded Program files set to read only?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…