Windows update 6 failed to install

mooly 07:26 10 Jun 09

Eight updates available this morning. Went to install them as normal and get error messages
80071A30 and 8000FFFF telling me 6 updates failed to install.
Anyone else with problems.
Running Vista HP
The 2 that installed were update for works 8 and malicious removal tool.

birdface 07:36 10 Jun 09

Try and download them one at a time from a manual running of Microsoft updates.There may just be the one that is stopping the rest from downloading.

mooly 07:43 10 Jun 09

Thanks, tried that, no go.
When they first started to download the percentage "downloaded" seemed to only reach 30 or so, then jumped to complete.
Just ran disc cleanup. 6GB of Windows error reports following this... that doesn't sound right to me anyway... freed .5gb running cleanup.
Tried again, still no good.
Are the "failed updates" download held somewhere. How can I be sure I am actually downloading anew, and not simply trying to install a corrupt file. If I check for updates again it says 6 to install. The downloading progress bar and percentage don't increase, just goes to the same "failed" notices screen again after a few seconds.

birdface 07:58 10 Jun 09

Not sure if this helps it is from another Forum.

go to your update history and double click on the failed download, this will open a box that contains two links for help... the top link is what you want, follow it and manually download the update file... do not run the file, save it to your desktop... next go to my computer, programs and features (install/uninstall programs)... on the left menu is Installed Updates, click it and a window opens with all the updates... scroll down and find the hotfix for your failed update (mine was kb292777)... uninstall the hotfix, reboot your computer, and when it's ready you simply double click the update file that you saved to your desktop... it will install as intended, no more problem... voila!!!

mooly 08:02 10 Jun 09

Thanks... will have a look... I may be some time lol.

mooly 11:34 10 Jun 09

Seems KB969898 is causing problem.
What is Microsoft visual basic 6 SP6 ?
Tried downloading the file as you suggest and got error message, trying to install update before Microsoft visual basic 6 has been installed ?
Restored back to an Acronis image taken this AM b4 all this started. Allways take a backup b4 anything like this. Anyway tried installing again one at a time and the last one I try is KB969898, all the other installed OK. This is the one that fails.

Input Overload 11:41 10 Jun 09

I had a problem last night downloading 2 of the updates, after several tries I put it down to MS server problems. This morning the updates ran fine in a couple of minutes. The problem may have nothing to do with your PC, just try to update again later?

mooly 11:47 10 Jun 09

Thanks Input Overload.
Have you got KB969898 your update history list ?

birdface 11:50 10 Jun 09

click here= That tells you what it is for.it installed ok on my computer XP Home.

mooly 11:56 10 Jun 09

Thanks, now getting this error code,
Windows Update error 8007000b

If you receive error 8007000b when you try to install Windows Vista updates, the Windows file system transaction log has become corrupted. The transaction log is used by the Windows file system to recover when a file error occurs. To correct this update error, you need to clear the log. Here's how:

To clear the file system transaction log
Click the Start button . In the Search box, type Command Prompt, and then, in the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.

In the command prompt window, type fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\. (This assumes that C: is the drive in which Windows Vista is installed. If Windows is installed on another drive, change the drive letter accordingly.)

Restart your computer.

Download and install the update again.

No good, says cannot find the file when run as command prompt.

mooly 12:13 10 Jun 09

Re my post above. I was pressing enter after typing the command. You just restart leaving the command window open with the code in place.
Update installed straight away.
Got all the above from inputing 8007000b into the "help and support" box.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now