Windows Update

Whizguy101 19:57 04 May 05

My computers are behind a network run by a Voyager 2100 router, but Windows Update and certain sites like logging into Hotmail don't work.
When Windows Update is searching for updates, I just get back an error message and ways to fix the problem, but none of them work. I've tried everything they suggest but only seems to make the situation worse.
Furthermore, I cannot log into my Hotmail account, but other sites work fine. All the SSL security options are selected in Internet Options.

I am running Windows XP Professional on a laptop and Windows XP Home on a desktop.

CLONNEN 13:41 05 May 05

On my computer I have to set my Firewall to Allow All or Disable it entirely to gain access to websites like Ebay and Windows Update.

Never used to need to do this - only been a problem for the last month or so.

vinnyo123 14:56 05 May 05

What if any software firewalls are running?

As stated above some software firewalls have stealth browsing enabled and need to be disabled to access some sites like Windows update."for example"

Whizguy101 17:00 06 May 05

Thanks guys, I disabled my firewall and I can now get into Hotmail and Windows Update (even though there aren't any updates anyway)

Go figure that the piece of software that is supposed to protect your computer is actually hindering it. The firewall always seems to be the case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009