Windows Update

Southernboy 10:52 11 Aug 03

My new Evesham PC is now several months old and still seems to be working OK.

However, everytime I switch on, I get a warning that there are a number of Windows Updates outstanding. However, I have read cautionary tales in this forum which questions the wisdom of installing every update offered, so I thought I would ask for advice.

My OS is WinXP with SP2, according to Evesham. Which updates, if any, should I install?

spikeychris 11:00 11 Aug 03

Can get complicated. If your machine has dragged them down then you could run a search for each one and check them out first. Critical updates tend to be needed but there are a lot that you don't need. As for which ones....almost impossible to say, all machines run different progs with different hardware/software. Networks need more (security etc)

Chris

Jester2K II 11:17 11 Aug 03

Is SP2 out now? I have all updates and still shows SP1 on Right Click my Computer, Properties...

-pops- 11:20 11 Aug 03

I updated a computer for a friend over the weekend and installed all the outstanding critical updates for him. Everything seemed to go OK and there have not been any dire warnings on here for a while so I think you will be safe.

I (forever cautious about these things) might even update my own machines on the basis of the weekend success.

JIM 11:43 11 Aug 03

can i trouble you as your on line for someone to let me know if the can access MS HELP and support site, at this moment in time.

WILL save me starting a thread.

john-232317 11:50 11 Aug 03

OK from Spain .. Straight on

JIM 12:02 11 Aug 03

Thank you for that,seems like i have delete a dll or file."TIME FOER SOME REPAIR WORK"

Southernboy,Sorry for breaking in.

john-232317 13:24 11 Aug 03

Too much cornish ice cream.. ;-)

Philip2 13:39 11 Aug 03

I've turned the dam things off and XP works fine
don't you find it odd that an OS has so many flaws
that patches have to be downloaded every day i never had these problems with Windows 98 god bless it or even Windows ME.

Southernboy 23:29 11 Aug 03

The PC came with XP and SP1.

powerless 23:35 11 Aug 03

You do not need all the updates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…