Windows Temp files

paul654 16:27 08 May 04

I`m in the process of cleaning up my C-drive, getting rid of old files and programmes/games. In the Windows/Internet logs folder there are a heck of a lot of TMP files. Can these all be deleted safely?? I`m sure I once read that most TMP files can be deleted without affecting anything.

Diodorus Siculus 16:30 08 May 04

Yes, more or less any tmp file can be deleted; certainly anything that is older than the time the machine has been on.

temp003 16:35 08 May 04

Are you actually referring to a folder called "Internet Logs"? If so, are you using ZoneAlarm?

I'm not familiar with ZoneAlarm, but .tmp files are safe to delete. The standard advice is it is safe to delete any temp files more than 7 days old.

Diodorus Siculus 16:50 08 May 04

temp003 - why seven days? A "rule of thumb" that works, or is there another reason?

temp003 16:56 08 May 04

Personally I don't see the point of the 7 days, but that's what Microsoft says, I seem to remember. My own guess is it's just a conservative cautious approach, just in case some mad program still requires a tmp file a few days after it's created.

I tend to agree with you that if you have terminated any open applications (including new installation of programs) properly, and rebooted, the tmp files should not be required any more.

Diodorus Siculus 16:58 08 May 04

temp003 -fair enough then. If I find anything that is older than then current session, it goes (when / if I even bother to delete them anyway).

powerless 16:58 08 May 04

Exactly thats why just delete 'em.

hugh-265156 16:59 08 May 04

this is good for getting rid of temp files click here use standard settings.

bertiecharlie 16:59 08 May 04

If you go to Start/Search/All Files and Folders. Type in the following *.tmp,*.chk,~*.* (include the astericks).

I read about this recently but have lost the link.

All the files shown are safe to delete but if you are cautious you can put them into your recycle bin for a while. (Windows, or any running programmes, won't allow you to delete a temporary file that is in use so just leave them).

paul654 17:56 08 May 04

Thanks for the info folks. Just ran a search and was suprised how many TMP files I actually have, will now delete them all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…