windows systems file missing or corrupt

saz25 18:18 23 Sep 05

When i switch on my laptop, i get the message that a windows system file is either missing or corrupt, and it won't let me boot up properly. I hadn't been messing around with any windows files prior to this message. A guy I have asked to have a look at it reckons it is a hardware problem, and that my hard drive is failing. He thinks data recovery may be difficult. I wondered if this was good advice? Also, just out of interest, how easy is it to fit a new hard drive yourself in a laptop? Only he is charging quite a bit to install it.

Any advice appreciated!

CMC 42 18:21 23 Sep 05

Yes it is good advice.
As for putting a new hard drive in your laptop it depends on the make: - if you look in your user manual it should show so called "hot drives" which are instantly swappable (Most laptops have a cd drive which can be switched to a dvd or floppy disc drive). If it isn't a hot drive - then the hard drive will be embedded in the mechanics of the laptop - and will need to be replaced by your laptop manufacturer.

VoG II 18:22 23 Sep 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…