windows system files/registry faults

march 10:48 04 Apr 03

after I shut down the computer and then turn it back on I get a message window stating, Windows has encounted a fault in the system registry it will restart & repair the registry from backup
I press ok then another instuction states, You have restored a good registry, windows found an error in your system files & restored a recent backup, press enter to restart. This I do & all is ok, anyone know why this is happening please? & how I can prevent it?
running windows 98se have not changed anything or installed anything new. march

Magik™ 11:14 04 Apr 03

you could try, start,run, and type in SFC and see what it comes up with, by checking details when it is done.

or start on MS-DOS and type scanreg/fix

march 11:30 04 Apr 03

checked as you suggested came up with FM20.DLL, MSSPELL3.DLL, CSAPI3F1.DLL, RAGENT.DLL,FP4AULT.DLL,VBACVI0.DLL,VBE6.DLL files may be corrupted I clicked on ignore as I dont have any idea what they are or how to replace them any help please? march

Magik™ 11:50 04 Apr 03

bset if you click replace, it will more that likely find them for you, if not it will ask for the CD.

Magik™ 11:51 04 Apr 03

bset = best. spell chucker playin up ;-)

march 12:09 04 Apr 03

will have a try (may be gone some time as someone famous once said)will get back soon as I can.

Magik™ 12:12 04 Apr 03

if you cant find them you will get the DLL files from here.

click here

march 12:25 04 Apr 03

Know this is a dumb question but what cd do I need to use? march

cracker23 12:53 04 Apr 03

Your windows 98se cd

march 13:06 04 Apr 03

right I put that in & then what do I do? really need guiding through this if you don't mind helping march

march 13:38 04 Apr 03

I have tried putting in the restore cd then I click on extract file,type in fm20.dll, click start and in restore from I typed in c:\windows\options\cabs then in save file in box c:\windows\system then Iclick ok and get message that the file cannot be found check you have the correct restore from location. what have I done wrong? march

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…