windows system error

griswoldsuk 14:41 25 Jun 05

Hi, just been rung by a friend whose laptop won't boot up due to either missing or corrupted Windows/System32/config/system file. Anybody got any ideas how to rectify this. He's running WinXP Home & the only option with the restore disk will mean losing all his data/files etc. which he doesn't want to lose if it can be helped

Curio 14:45 25 Jun 05

Start, Run, SFC /scannow

gudgulf 14:46 25 Jun 05

click here

click here

these might help.

griswoldsuk 14:59 25 Jun 05

Curio, won't the laptop need to be booted up & running to run SFC/scannow

Gudgulf, reading your links, but the MS page says don't do this if you've OEM which my friend has

Curio 16:22 25 Jun 05

Yes, you are correct. My error. Did not read your post correctly. Apologies

Curio 16:35 25 Jun 05

Using Recovery ConsoleIf you cannot start your computer in safe mode or by using the Last Known Good Configuration startup option, you can use Recovery Console. With the appropriate permissions, you can use this command-line interface to start recovery tools, start and stop services, access files on hard disks, and perform advanced tasks, such as manually replacing corrupted system files. You can run Recovery Console from the Windows XP Professional operating system CD, or you can install it as a startup option.Infrequently, startup files and critical areas on the hard disk become corrupted. If the corruption is extensive, it might prevent you from starting Windows XP Professional in normal or safe modes, or from using the installed Recovery Console or using the Last Known Good Configuration startup option. In these situations, you can run Recovery Console from the Windows XP Professional operating system CD.To start Recovery Console from the Windows XP Professional operating system CD1. Insert the Windows XP Professional operating system CD into the CD-ROM drive, and restart the computer. When prompted, press a key to start Setup. 2. At the Setup Notification screen, press ENTER. 3. After the Welcome to Setup screen appears, select To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console by pressing R. A menu that lists one or more Windows XP Professional installations appears.4. Type the number corresponding to the installation that you want to use, and then press ENTER. 5. At the prompt, enter the password for the local Administrator account to access the contents of the local hard disk. Recovery Console accepts only the local Administrator account password.From Recovery Console, you can attempt to replace corrupted files with undamaged copies stored on removable disks, such as a floppy disk or the Windows XP Professional operating system CD.To use the CD-based Recovery Console, you must set the CD-ROM as the primary boot device (the first item listed in the boot order). If the CD-ROM is not listed as a boot-order option in the computer firmware, you cannot start your system by using the Windows XP Professional operating system CD. You must use startup floppy disks to start Windows XP Professional Setup. For more information about startup floppy disks, see the Getting Started Guide, which comes with Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional.Note· When you start your system by using the bootable Windows XP Professional operating system CD, Setup checks the hard disk for Windows XP Professional or another Windows operating system, such as Windows 2000 or Windows Me. If another operating system is found, you have the option of bypassing CD-ROM startup by not responding to the Press any key to boot from CD prompt that appears. If you do not press a key within three seconds, Setup does not run and the computer passes control from the CD-ROM to the hard disk. To install Recovery Console as a startup option for x86-based systems1. With Windows XP Professional running, insert the Windows XP Professional operating system CD into your CD-ROM drive. 2. Click No when prompted to upgrade to Windows XP Professional. 3. In the Run dialog box, type cmd, and then click OK. 4. At the command prompt, type: drive:\i386\Winnt32.exe /cmdconsIn the preceding command, drive represents the letter of the CD-ROM or network drive that holds the Windows XP Professional installation files. 5. Restart your computer. Recovery Console appears as an item on the operating system menu. Note· Installing Recovery Console on the hard disk is an option only for x86-based computers.

Curio 16:36 25 Jun 05

Hope above may be of some help.

griswoldsuk 17:06 25 Jun 05

My friend went for a complete restore as a lot (but not all) of his stuff was backed up. Incidentally he had tried both PC World & Toshiba, neither of whom could help him.

albag999 12:27 16 May 06

I have an acer laptop. I tried to load windows but it said (EXPLORER.EXE). The description said that it couldn't find the browser. Once I pressed ok it loaded up normal. But non of the icons didn't come up and start didn't come up niether. Can anyone Help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…